Canning recipes with meat? (First post, here, ever!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monch

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I've been pressure canning my own stocks, using USDA guidelines, for years.

I have a 23qt. Presto dial canner.

Now, a friend has asked if he can pressure can his home made chili.

I thought I remembered that canning recipes was discouraged, but research seems to support the idea of canning a meat-based recipe.

The rules I've found are:
- Start with wholesome ingredients and handle with food safety in mind while making your recipe
- Follow sound general canning practices
- Use ONLY pint jars and no larger
- Process at 11psi for 75 minutes

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have, or experiences to share.

Monch

Yep, you are missing one important thing. Use a USDA approved recipe for anything you can, at least if you want to be safe.

Check out this site: National Center for Home Food Preservation

It has all you need to know about canning everything that can be canned. There is a recipe for chili with meat on that site. You can adjust seasonings, but do not adjust ratios of ingredients. Density counts--a recipe that is too dense may not reach the proper temperature in the center of the jar.

Old standards said to can for the amount of time needed for the ingredient that took the longest time, but later research has suggested that that policy doesn't always work.

Tell him to freeze it, unless his recipe is really similar to the one on the site.

I work for Missouri Extension, and we are real tight-asses about following canning instructions to the letter. Lots of people have canned lots of things and haven't died--but I prefer not to take chances.

Thank you!

THAT information also resonates.

I will abandon the idea of canning "our" recipes and give him the option of using an approved recipe or offer him space in my freezer.

I also have the USDA Guide to Home Canning and will make a loan of it, to my friend.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom