Canning this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
What's anyone canning this year?
I have my dill pickle recipe I like, along with my pickled red beets, and tomatoes, I think that will be it for me.

If the bunnies don't get all the seedlings first, like they did last year, I'll probably make pickled green beans. Haven't decided if I'm planting cukes this year.

Last edited:
I don't dare plant anything here until after Mother's Day.

I borrowed that book from our library last year. Wasn't planning on canning anything, but the cover caught my eye. It's interesting on the inside, too. ;) My mantra right now, though, is "No New Toys", no matter how cute that 12-quart pot looks. :whistling:

Josie- what is Watermelon syrup and how do you use it?

Garden will be planted next week. we are going to look this year to can some of the things we have been freezing, creamed corn, purple hull peas. I did an experiment last year and canned yellow squash and it turned out great. Kept much better than being frozen, plus the using canned is much easier than frozen.

My garden was a total fail last year--too wet, everything rotted. Luckily, I had enough tomatoes and green beans called to last me.

This year, I will can tomato sauce, salsa, cowboy candy, and tomato juice from the garden. I have also been making and canning chicken stock, and plain canned chicken.

I understand that the new Ball Blue Book will have lots of 'meal in a jar' recipes.

Josie- what is Watermelon syrup and how do you use it?

I took 3 cups of watermelon juice 1 cup sugar and made syrup . I
used Konjac root to thicken it . I made a waffle topped it with 1/2 banana sliced and the syrup. I was just playing and it turned out wonderful. I ran the watermelon thru my Breville juicer to get the
juice.

Josie

I've got 52 tomato starts in my house under a grow lamp. The tallest is about a foot high. The smallest just popped above the soil. I will also have sweet peas (they will be frozen though, blueberry bushes, and will be planting lots of purple beans (they turn green when cooked). I have two apple trees that give me great apples for canning, not so much for eating. I've been trying to turn the trees into great eating apple producers. my Dad planted them, one transparent apples, and one Mackintosh. They both produce apples that are tasty, but very soft and meally. He just planted them and let them go wild. I've fertilized them, and cut them back. But the apples are still the same. They're good for applesauce.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

What's anyone canning this year?
I have my dill pickle recipe I like, along with my pickled red beets, and tomatoes, I think that will be it for me.
I'm not canning but I have made 10lbs of orange marmalade and 5 lbs of lemon marmalade with a touch of gin in the last couple of weeks. (Gin and lemons go very well together in a culinary sense.)

Unlike a demonstration on Food Network recently we don't can jams, jellies, marmalades, pickles and chutneys after cooking and putting in jars. There doesn't seem much point as the cooking of the fruit/veg, vinegar and sugar and sealing in dry sterile jars is enough to keep the contents free of bacteria, mould, etc. I've kept home preserves for a year with no detriment. (They'd probably keep longer but don't get the chance!)

Later in the year I'll be making piccalilly which is (basically) mixed veg in a mustard and vinegar "sauce" (much nicer than the stuff you buy) and beetroot and apple chutney which is a sweet chutney and good with bread and cheese

I'm not canning but I have made 10lbs of orange marmalade and 5 lbs of lemon marmalade with a touch of gin in the last couple of weeks. (Gin and lemons go very well together in a culinary sense.)

Unlike a demonstration on Food Network recently we don't can jams, jellies, marmalades, pickles and chutneys after cooking and putting in jars. There doesn't seem much point as the cooking of the fruit/veg, vinegar and sugar and sealing in dry sterile jars is enough to keep the contents free of bacteria, mould, etc. I've kept home preserves for a year with no detriment. (They'd probably keep longer but don't get the chance!)

Later in the year I'll be making piccalilly which is (basically) mixed veg in a mustard and vinegar "sauce" (much nicer than the stuff you buy) and beetroot and apple chutney which is a sweet chutney and good with bread and cheese

We never canned jams or jellies either. We sterilized the container and sealed it with a thin layer of melted paraffin. When we opened a jar the paraffin disc was washed and saved to melt with some fresh paraffin the following year.

We never canned jams or jellies either. We sterilized the container and sealed it with a thin layer of melted paraffin. When we opened a jar the paraffin disc was washed and saved to melt with some fresh paraffin the following year.

That's the way my grandma and great aunt made their chokecherry, rhubarb and other jams and jellies too

My pantry is full up with jams and all kinds of pickles. I've got enough beans and tomatoes until harvest, I hope.

This year will be a big year for us for tomatoes and green beans. I have the bean seeds already, and 100 tomato seedlings (many we'll give away).

Then to freeze, green peppers (lots of seedlings), herbs (again lots of seedlings going).

We're putting in a smaller plot of just bulbing onions and potatoes. And of course our garlic garden is already well on its way.

"ping"

Hello all! First time posting. I'm in the Philadelphia area and happened to see a live demo by Marisa McClellan and purchased one of her books, 'Preserving by the Pint.' I've always loved to cook, but this inspired me to finally delve into home canning a bit. Last year I canned tomato "ketchup" chutney, pear jam with rosewater & cardamom, pear & chocolate jam, and gold apple ginger chutney.

I made a list of things I hope to make this year:
tomato "ketchup" chutney (Aarti Sequeira)
grape tomato chutney (Aarti Sequeira)
tomato onion jam (Alton Brown)
orange cardamom curd (Preserving by the Pint)
carrot relish (PbtP)
pickled eggplant w/mint (PbtP)
zucchini butter w/fresh thyme (PbtP)
pickled sugar pumpkin/butternut (PbtP)
pear jam with rosewater & cardamom (personal recipe)
pear-cranberry chutney (PbtP)
winter fruit mostarda (PbtP)

Hi, Amy. Welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

I've been following Marisa's blog for years and have two of her books, including Preserving by the Pint. I'm looking forward to making a lot of those recipes. So cool that you were able to attend one of her classes.

I love the idea of small-batch canning. Last weekend, I canned two half pints of tomatillo salsa from garden tomatillos I had frozen last fall.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom