Canning this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
finished with 8 qts green beans (one fail) and 8 pints of kidney beans.
Today, more pints of beans, garbanzo first then great northern beans.

What am I canning this year?

Bread and Butter Pickles - 4 cases.
Green Beans - 2 cases
Diced tomatoes - 2 cases
San Marzano Tomato Sauce - 3 cases
Heirloom Tomato Salsa - 1 case
Banana Peppers - 1 case
Pork cubes - 1 case
Venison cubes - 2-3 cases depending on how many deer I can get this fall/winter (6 deer is the legal limit where I live.)
Ready to use Stew Vegetable mix - 2 cases.
Baked Beans - 1 case
Pears - 1 case
Applesauce - 1 case
Sliced apples - 1 case
Apricots - 2 cases
Bing Cherries - 1 case
Pie Cherries - 1 case
Pesto - 1 case pints.
Corn - 4 cases.
All except pesto are quarts, a case is 12 jars.

I do vacuum seal dry items, beans, pasta, flour, seeds, nuts, etc.. in jars as well but, that's vacuum sealing, not canning.

Wow...

I'm not canning much this year can't find peaches but I have plenty left. The garden is in shambles. Its just been too hot to be working out there. This is the first time it w to 3 weeks we haven't had heat indexes in the 100s. Should have a good crop of tomatoes to can.

I'm not canning much this year can't find peaches but I have plenty left. The garden is in shambles. Its just been too hot to be working out there. This is the first time it w to 3 weeks we haven't had heat indexes in the 100s. Should have a good crop of tomatoes to can.

Our peach season is usually August through September depending on the weather. I was surprised to find out that buying the peaches already picked was cheaper than picking it yourself...the farmer said people just eat too many of them before they get back to pay. Fine with me...I'd just assume someone else do the work.
A few years ago I tried using the seeds of one vanilla bean in my jam...then I threw the rest of the bean in and fished it out before canning. What a difference...much sweeter and especially good if you like lower sugar recipes. I won't make it any other way now.

8 pts of garbanzo beans
2 pts of black beans
5 pts of pinto beans
8 pts of vegetable beef soup

I am the unofficial food bank for my road - a few families living in a very rural location. Some are disabled and, things happen, like the wage earner needing surgery, a divorce, death of the wage earner, etc... Everyone out here knows to come to me for food. It may not be what you want, but at least you won't go hungry.

I plant over half an acre of garden every year for that reason and, the people out here do help me tend the garden, they know they will get some of the food out of it. If they buy seeds or plants for the garden, they get half of whatever the plants they provided produce. I get the other half for providing the land, water and, fertilizer.

That makes sure we all eat and, lets those that are working single parents and, don't have time for a garden have their favorites grown right here for them.

Bluemoods, excellent! It's very nice to hear of such a co-operative group, gardening and putting up foods.

I agree Bluemoods, what a great legacy you are leaving in your community!

Yesterday I canned 7 qts of green beans, 9 pints of green beans and pea pods, and 9 pints of hamburger (6 1/2 lbs).

The hamburger was cheap and it was taking up room in the freezer. I added a couple of quarts of water to the browning hamburger, then put a plate in the kettle to hold down the meat, and put the kettle in the sink. I ran cold water next to the kettle until it was cold and the fat solidified at the top. I scraped off the fat which was about 2 lbs worth, then filled the jars with the hamburger meat and water. Added 1/2 t. salt to each pint. Pressure canned at 11 lbs for 90 minutes.

Green beans AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-gain! Snap snap snap snap, snapping beans. I think snapping beans is one of my most boring activities, I take off the end, snap them into 1 inch pieces, filling jars, filling jars. I'll feel better when it is all over.

Green beans AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-gain! Snap snap snap snap, snapping beans. I think snapping beans is one of my most boring activities, I take off the end, snap them into 1 inch pieces, filling jars, filling jars. I'll feel better when it is all over.

Snapping green beans, shelling peas or other beans all equally tedious, boring work that makes you feel great when it's over. :)

It's mindless work, for sure. Turn on the radio or listen to a podcast. Someone somewhere is always broadcasting something you're interested in listening to [emoji2]

Okay, I first cleaned up some german red garlic, then I invoiced two customers, really anything to avoid the beans, I ate some pasta salad, I put on a movie, then I snapped beans. I have them in the pressure cooker. Finally.

been canning green chile sauce and chokecherry jelly and syrup..

Attachments

• DSCN6201.jpg
    DSCN6201.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 149
I picked about 120 lbs of concord grapes today. My wife and I made 17L of juice, 15 jars of jam, and 5 pie fillings.
Still have about 40lbs left, might make a small batch of concord wine with it. I have to see if I have the room and equipment. It's getting close to harvest time and I expect to have about 200-250lbs of grapes from our backyard muscat in a few weeks, plus some merlot and riesling too. I have peach, cherry, and mixed-berry wine's all on the go already this year, plus last years muscat and Dornfelder.

Need a bigger cellar.

Attachments

• 20170904_194705.jpg
    20170904_194705.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 132
I want to make smaller batches of more things, so I bought this book - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0762449683 - and this pot to go with it - http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-4200-12-Cup-Burner/dp/B00381ANTG.

Really looking forward to the opening of the farmers market in a couple of weeks :yum: and we planted most of our garden yesterday - tomatoes, hot and bell peppers, zucchini and summer squash. Still need to plant cucumbers and a few herbs.

I know this is an old post, but how has this worked out for just the two of you? It looks like something I would be able to handle in my small galley kitchen. I miss canning. But I really haven't wanted to invest from start all the equipment needed to get back into it. :)

This past week end I officially ended canning season. I canned 147 pints and half pints of green chiles, green chile sauce, chokecherry syrup and chokecherry jelly. I'm a tad bit tired!

This past week end I officially ended canning season. I canned 147 pints and half pints of green chiles, green chile sauce, chokecherry syrup and chokecherry jelly. I'm a tad bit tired!

You deserve a BIG NAP! 147, wow.

The smaller jars, pints-2 cups. We do a lot in pints as we plan to just have 2 of us here instead of 3 or more of us. The half pints-1 cup, I've used for jams and now I have a collection of at least 15 kinds. This year I finally bought some 1/2 cups, they are just 4 oz, and I'm using them for herbal syrups/natural medicine, and 4 oz is a nice size to send in lunches for sweets or cottage cheese.

I purchased 8 cases of pints to add to what we already had. I think this might completely fill the basement pantry once they are filled.

I use the half gallon jars, to store homemade vinegar. I use the quarts for tomatoes, pickles, kraut, and green beans.

If you use a lot of canning jars, in whatever size you like, Ball makes plastic lids which are great for storing in the refrigerator. We went on a picnic yesterday and put lemonade in the pint jars, that worked out great. When I use just 1/2 qt of beans, I can put a plastic lid on it and keep it in the refrigerator. They are made in both the regular and wide mouth variety and so handy.

Visions of canning this year up in smoke. The gardening disaster, sinking garden and high heat we were unable to work in, led to just enough produce to eat out of hand while looking at the disaster. So far I have eaten 3 tomatoes, 4 peas, 2 chilies and a handful of black berries. Parents have had about the same.

Back
Top Bottom