"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-22-2016, 04:58 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Canning times for own recipe.

Hi everyone, I'm Jojo and i am new here.

I have been bath canning for years, but i have just bought myself a pressure canner!

I would love to can my favourite Orange Chicken sauce that i have developed over the years. I'm just not sure how long to can it for.

I have only ever worked from Pre-Made recipes but i think its time to branch out and make my own.

The ingredients in my sauce are:
Orange juice
Zest of 2 oranges
Lemon juice
Rice vinegar
Soy sauce
Brown sugar
fresh ginger finely minced
fresh garlic finely diced
chopped green onion
chili flakes.

I know that this probably can be bath canned because of the acid, but i would prefer to pressure can it.

I wont be adding any thickener, so that won't be a problem.

Thanks for any advice you can give, it will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:04 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Be patient, our canners are still sleeping here. They'll see you question soon and answer.

Welcome to DC...I'm only awake be cause I work nights and on my tea break.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

I would suggest looking for an approved recipe similar to yours and use that as a guide. I found one that's sorta similar, from one of the manufacturers, although it includes the chicken and a thickener. I think if you use the timing from that one, you will be more than safe.

https://www.gopresto.com/recipes/pre...ranchicken.php
Old 09-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
Head Chef

Good Morning and Wecome to DC!

Canning Quick Reference Chart : Canning : Preserving and Preparing : Food Safety : Food : University of Minnesota Extension

http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/fo...chart-2016.pdf

The above links are for the University of Minnesota's reference chart to canning. In it they give the various times for raw foods.
The only really raw foods in your recipe are the scallions, garlic, ginger and the orange zest. Based on that I would think that the times listed in the 8 to 10 minute range would be fine for you. It also depends on the size of the jars you are using - so your timing could go up to 25 or 35 minutes.

CAVEAT - please understand - I am not a seasoned pressure canner to give advice.
I would suggest you try some proven recipes first to become familiar with your canner.

As you've noted the amount of citric acid and other preserving ingredients almost preclude canning at all, whether water bath or pressure! LOL

But there must be a "department" out there that could give you precise times. There are inspectors for food plants who must have charts or criteria to follow... Anybody know what they are called?? Someone here must know someone in the food industry.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #5
Head Chef

LOL - GG I was so busy looking things up I forgot to post my reply - and yours was there!

That recipe is delicious looking - might have to try it...

But that is a recipe for a meal to be eaten right away - They are not preserving the meat nor other ingredients. Chicken alone needs to be processed for anywhere up to 90 minutes, depending on bones/sizes, etc.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
But that is a recipe for a meal to be eaten right away - They are not preserving the meat nor other ingredients. Chicken alone needs to be processed for anywhere up to 90 minutes, depending on bones/sizes, etc.
Whoops, you're right. I shouldn't try to give advice when I have a cold and a headache Sorry.

I agree with dragnlaw that it would be a good idea to practice with proven recipes before attempting to make up your own.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
Head Chef

JoJo, with 2nd thought (which I probably should NOT do).. there might be a reason you can't find a similar recipe done in a p c. Perhaps because no one would bother when a water bath suffices.

Pressure cooker preserving is really for things that MUST be taken above 212 F to be safe. All that acid renders it a bit moot for the p c.

Ask yourself just why you want to do it in a p c. The shelf life is not longer. It is not rendered safer. And it might even change the texture and taste, which I doubt you want.

Is it just for practice with the cooker? Try just making meals first... such as that chicken mentioned earlier. (and let me know when to go wash my hands before supper - I'll be there!)

Hope we are helping!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
Head Chef

I'm inclined to recommend over cooking it (since it is just a sauce) with the pressure cooking method (due to the ginger and garlic depending on how much you use). If there is not a large quantity of garlic or ginger (higher ph ingredients), you could just use a water bath canner. The orange juice, is comparable to lemon juice (acidifier), the sugar acting as a preservative similarly to Jam or Jelly. If you could find a recipe for orange marmalade, or a syrup recipe that is approved, you might use that. (comparing the volumes of each ingredient with a similar ingredient, lemon~ orange juice, garlic/ginger~chopped peppers, sugar ~brown sugar, etc.)

Now I AM one for following tested recipes with Ball or University Extensions (and a few others), but I don't think you'll find one for exactly what you are making.

I'm a huge fan of orange sauce myself, so, if I was doing this for MY family, I'd make it similar to jalapeno jelly, with extra acidifier (the orange juice), substituting the jalapeno with ginger/garlic in that proportion. The extra acidifier would possibly make the 'jelly', into 'not jelly=syrup' due to the acid or due to the amount of liquid.
The soy sauce, is added salt, not a problem.
The vinegar, is an added acidifier, not a problem.
The chili flakes dry, will not change the PH.
The chopped green onion either add that to your computations with garlic/ginger, or use dried chopped green onion, so it doesn't change the PH.
I'm pretty convinced that it might work like jalapeno jelly.

If you have a PH meter, or PH strips, you might aim for a low PH, 4 or 4.5???? Someone know the PH of orange marmalade or jalapeno jelly?
Old 09-23-2016, 02:52 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks Everyone, There is only 2 cloves of garlic in the recipe, and 1" knob of ginger.

I can most certainly used Dried green onion, that's not a problem.

My recipe is basically 85% acidic fruit juice, But my aunt who i asked said that garlic and ginger needs to be pressure canned.

I found a similar recipe online that water-bath canned for 25 mins, but that used minced garlic and ginger from a jar.

I will get a PH meter, What ones do you reccomend????

Thanks
Old 09-23-2016, 07:27 AM   #10
Head Chef

How do you normally put your sauce together for eating right away?

Is it all stewed together in a pan on the stove?

is it done the same way for a water bath? Really don't think you need to worry about them.

I put whole raw garlic cloves in with my dill pickles and then a water bath - they're fine. My chutneys are cooked on the stove before water baths - many have both ginger and garlic.

Just looked up PH testors Range from $100 to $500 - these are for commercial operations that must have one. Paper PH testors are what we call Litmus papers. Maybe not as accurate but sure to be a lot cheaper.

Tags
canning, recipe