Canning tomato soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billmac

Assistant Cook
Does anyone make tomato soup and can it? Recipe?
Can stuff with milk / cream / butter be canned?

I'm drowning in Roma tomatoes. I've made sauce, and salsa. It would be nice to be able to put some soup up too.

Thanks

Why not just freeze the tomatoes or make tomato sauce. I think canning with milk might be problematic. You could make the concentrate like Campbell's and can that, adding milk when you cook it.

Roasted Romas are delicious=sun dried tomatoes.

couple of cautions: I have not tried this recipe and it comes from a Kerr canning book from at least 35 years ago....

Tomato Soup

14 quarts ripe tomatoes
7 medium onions
1 stalk celery
14 sprigs parsley
3 bay leaves
14 tablespoons flour
14 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons salt
8 T. sugar
2 t. pepper

Wash and cut up tomaotes. Chop onions, celery, parsley, bay leaves. Add to tomatoes. Cook until celery is tender. Put through sieve. Rub flour and butter into smooth paste thinned with tomato juice. Add to boiling soup. Stir to prevent scorching. Add salt, sugar and pepper. For smoother consistency, put through sieve again. Fill clean Kerr jars to within one inch of top. Put on cap, screw band. Process in Boiling Water Bath 15 minutes, yield 10 pints.

I have done the tomatoe soup thing

I am always drowning in Roma tomatoes in the summer. But that's not really a bad thing. The recipe I like for tomatoe soup is from the Food Network Chefs book they put out last year. The recipe is from Michael C(?) who has the Napa Style Show. It could be online at Foodtv. It uses grated carrots for sweetness instead of sugar and you don't need to add the milk until you are ready to serve it, and that's only a personal preference it's good without it. I just can the soup the same way I do tomatoes, in the pressure canner for 45 minutes.

Don't can anything with dairy in it - it is NOT safe.
If you're canning with a boiling water bath, just can the tomatoes as a puree or crushed tomatoes.
If you have a canner, you can add other vegetables (but be sure you know the correct timing for your recipe and jar size).
Just use the canned tomatoes as your base when you want to make soup.

I've made tomato soup by simmering peeled, seeded and diced fresh tomatoes in a little chicken broth with diced onion, garlic, and spices/herbs of choice, salt, pepper. When cooked (not long), I cool the mixture and then puree it. I freeze as is and when ready to serve, defrost and add milk, cream, or more chicken broth to thin the soup to the desired consistency. Heat slowly, do not boil.

billmac said:
Does anyone make tomato soup and can it? Recipe?
Can stuff with milk / cream / butter be canned?

I'm drowning in Roma tomatoes. I've made sauce, and salsa. It would be nice to be able to put some soup up too.

Thanks

Roughly chop the tomatoes, add salt, cook for a minute or three in olive oil then pass through a food mill. Put into jars, add an inch of oil on the top, water bath for at least 20 minutes, WITH the lid on, of course - remove, cool, store.
They'll last for ages.

here is a recipe of sweet tomato canned sirop LINK REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom