"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Canning tomato soup

Does anyone make tomato soup and can it? Recipe?
Can stuff with milk / cream / butter be canned?

I'm drowning in Roma tomatoes. I've made sauce, and salsa. It would be nice to be able to put some soup up too.

Thanks

Old 09-05-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Why not just freeze the tomatoes or make tomato sauce. I think canning with milk might be problematic. You could make the concentrate like Campbell's and can that, adding milk when you cook it.

Roasted Romas are delicious=sun dried tomatoes.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
Executive Chef

couple of cautions: I have not tried this recipe and it comes from a Kerr canning book from at least 35 years ago....

Tomato Soup

14 quarts ripe tomatoes
7 medium onions
1 stalk celery
14 sprigs parsley
3 bay leaves
14 tablespoons flour
14 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons salt
8 T. sugar
2 t. pepper

Wash and cut up tomaotes. Chop onions, celery, parsley, bay leaves. Add to tomatoes. Cook until celery is tender. Put through sieve. Rub flour and butter into smooth paste thinned with tomato juice. Add to boiling soup. Stir to prevent scorching. Add salt, sugar and pepper. For smoother consistency, put through sieve again. Fill clean Kerr jars to within one inch of top. Put on cap, screw band. Process in Boiling Water Bath 15 minutes, yield 10 pints.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I have done the tomatoe soup thing

I am always drowning in Roma tomatoes in the summer. But that's not really a bad thing. The recipe I like for tomatoe soup is from the Food Network Chefs book they put out last year. The recipe is from Michael C(?) who has the Napa Style Show. It could be online at Foodtv. It uses grated carrots for sweetness instead of sugar and you don't need to add the milk until you are ready to serve it, and that's only a personal preference it's good without it. I just can the soup the same way I do tomatoes, in the pressure canner for 45 minutes.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Don't can anything with dairy in it - it is NOT safe.
If you're canning with a boiling water bath, just can the tomatoes as a puree or crushed tomatoes.
If you have a canner, you can add other vegetables (but be sure you know the correct timing for your recipe and jar size).
Just use the canned tomatoes as your base when you want to make soup.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I've made tomato soup by simmering peeled, seeded and diced fresh tomatoes in a little chicken broth with diced onion, garlic, and spices/herbs of choice, salt, pepper. When cooked (not long), I cool the mixture and then puree it. I freeze as is and when ready to serve, defrost and add milk, cream, or more chicken broth to thin the soup to the desired consistency. Heat slowly, do not boil.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac
Does anyone make tomato soup and can it? Recipe?
Can stuff with milk / cream / butter be canned?

I'm drowning in Roma tomatoes. I've made sauce, and salsa. It would be nice to be able to put some soup up too.

Thanks
Roughly chop the tomatoes, add salt, cook for a minute or three in olive oil then pass through a food mill. Put into jars, add an inch of oil on the top, water bath for at least 20 minutes, WITH the lid on, of course - remove, cool, store.
They'll last for ages.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #8
Cook

Here's a recipe with no butter or cream in it.

http://www.recipezaar.com/137949
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
digigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

here is a recipe of sweet tomato canned sirop LINK REMOVED