"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-25-2008, 01:25 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Canning Tomatoes

I know this is probably a dumb question, but its one I need to ask. Can I can yellow tomatoes (don't know the variety) the same as the red ones? Do I even want to? And would there be any point to "mixing" (red & yellow) them?

If the answer is yes, then will I be able to use them as I would ordinary canned tomatoes? Honestly, I don't care for them (yellows) all that much, but growing up sort of poor has made me very hesitant to waste food (or anything for that matter!) Speaking of which, I have roughly 400,000 wire bread ties if anyone can use em'

I have a lot of yellows, and really hate to waste them. Of course, poisoning my family would suck as well, so I thought I'd ask before I went to the trouble of putting them up.

Thanks everybody!!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:35 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a lot of the yellow ones and loved them as they were as sweet as sugar..So I hate canning and wanted to save some so I roasted them, put them through a ricer they are so good...I would just mix them with some of the roasted red ones I did as both kinds are outstanding..I just put them on a cookie sheet, added some evoo,diced yellow onion and several heads of garlic with the tops cut off sprinkled on some kosher salt..Perfect..I have them in the freezer for later..

kades

Old 09-25-2008, 03:19 AM   #3
Master Chef

I don't know that the color has anything to do with it ... but you might want to read the information on this site: National Center for Home Food Preservation - How Do I Can Tomatoes ... Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Products.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Head Chef

I mixed my yellows, reds and pinks all together. It changes the color of the sauce a little, but tastes great.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

If you don't like the yellow tomatoes now, you probably won't like them in sauce, either. What is it you don't like about them?

I made some of my tomatoes (a very sweet heirloom variety) into tomato jam - it's delicious I adapted this recipe, using just tomatoes, sugar, lemon juice, salt and one jalapeno: Tomato Jam
Old 09-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Master Chef

The color has very little to do with the safety. Just be sure to follow regular CURRENT safe canning procedures for tomatoes.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Master Chef

Yellow tomatoes have less acid than red ones, and have different requirements for canning. You need to check out the method in your Ball Blue Book.