Canning Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
I know this is probably a dumb question, but its one I need to ask. Can I can yellow tomatoes (don't know the variety) the same as the red ones? Do I even want to? And would there be any point to "mixing" (red & yellow) them?

If the answer is yes, then will I be able to use them as I would ordinary canned tomatoes? Honestly, I don't care for them (yellows) all that much, but growing up sort of poor has made me very hesitant to waste food (or anything for that matter!) Speaking of which, I have roughly 400,000 wire bread ties if anyone can use em':LOL:

I have a lot of yellows, and really hate to waste them. Of course, poisoning my family would suck as well, so I thought I'd ask before I went to the trouble of putting them up.

Thanks everybody!!

I had a lot of the yellow ones and loved them as they were as sweet as sugar..So I hate canning and wanted to save some so I roasted them, put them through a ricer they are so good...I would just mix them with some of the roasted red ones I did as both kinds are outstanding..I just put them on a cookie sheet, added some evoo,diced yellow onion and several heads of garlic with the tops cut off sprinkled on some kosher salt..Perfect..I have them in the freezer for later..

kades

If you don't like the yellow tomatoes now, you probably won't like them in sauce, either. What is it you don't like about them?

I made some of my tomatoes (a very sweet heirloom variety) into tomato jam - it's delicious :) I adapted this recipe, using just tomatoes, sugar, lemon juice, salt and one jalapeno: Tomato Jam

The color has very little to do with the safety. Just be sure to follow regular CURRENT safe canning procedures for tomatoes.

Yellow tomatoes have less acid than red ones, and have different requirements for canning. You need to check out the method in your Ball Blue Book.

Back
Top Bottom