"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 05-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recipes Cookbook Writer View Post
I do wonder about the safety of home canning - one must be very careful about sanitizing all equipment. Seems so much easier to buy canned products ready made. I would use fresh produce for cooking only.
Some people just LIKE doing things themselves. Easy isn't part of the equasion..... take the time to learn and it will be done right.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Some people just LIKE doing things themselves. Easy isn't part of the equasion..... take the time to learn and it will be done right.
I agree Suziquzie, I don't can necessarily out of necessity but rather for the enjoyment and satisfaction of the accomplishment. Does it save us money? Yes - alot but that wasn't the inspiration. I have fond memories of my mom and grandmother in the kitchen canning fruit and veggies and can "feel" my grandma with me now when I do it.

I think people trying canning for the first time who might be nervous or who have not had previous exposure should find a buddy. There are probably people at your church or local haunt who can and who would come and help you the first few times - especially if you offer some of the bounty to them! You can't rush canning so patience is a must but savor (no pun intended) the time with the food YOU grew.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
Head Chef

If one truly wants to learn the safety issues and other aspects of preserving food, there is a *free* online study course on the subject offered by the Univ. of Georgia Extension through the National Center for Home Food Preservation.

National Center for Home Food Preservation

Scroll down on the home page until you find the reference to it. It only has 4 sections and you get a certificate of completion when successfully completed. If you feel you know it all....good....because the course gives you the actual quiz for each section before you start so you can confirm your knowledge level or how much you need to pay attention through the course section. It is worth it.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #14
Honey Badger

When canning tomatoes is it possible to use 2 different varieties?
I planted Early Girl and Roma's.

Thanks,

Munky.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
When canning tomatoes is it possible to use 2 different varieties?
I planted Early Girl and Roma's.

Thanks,

Munky.
Yes...or 3 or 4 --- However you may find it fun to can a few jars of just Roma....Try to keep them whole!

Have Fun!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I've been canning tomatoes the same way for 60 years and have not died from it yet. As near as I can figure it takes 12 hours per bushel by the time I peel, cut, cook and seal the last jar. It does not take into account all the dipping, washing and sanitizing, or the clean up so I can start the next bushel tomorow. When I am finished and all the lids have "popped" I have enough quarts for almost a full year. Those that don't pop have to be re-cooked and re-canned with new lids. It's easy. I jest ain't quick,
Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #17
Head Chef

No offense, but indicating you have been canning the same way for 60 years is not a positive thing since canning rules and procedures took a big change in the 90's. General procedures and recipes done prior to then are considered unsafe and even dangerous. Anybody can do what they want of course, but most people learning something new would like to be up to date and do things as safe as possible, especially if the results are shared with family and friends.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #18
Senior Cook

I am aware

I am also aware of overkill and scare tactics. When I can, I depend upon proper heat, proper cooking and proper sanitation. I know how to provide it, but I do not know if any one else does. I know seven generations that have used the same technique and no died from it. Neither did their friends nor my great-grandson. . I don't serve Botulism or Salmonella at my house or in my food. .
Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I grow my own too and a tomatoes tastes like a tomatoes ,when buying them from a store its shell is nice perfect,but the taste is YUK.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I have been buying canned tomatoes because they are actually very nutritious and have a great flavor. If you buy Red Gold brand tomatoes they are picked and canned in less then 24 hours so all the nutritents are still in the product. They are also 100% Natural. Every try using canned tomatoes like fresh. Just drain and rinse the tomatoes and you then have little pieces of tomatoes to use in salads and pizza. They have also done all the work for you, peeled and diced them ready to use.