Canning with Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Besides, canning pasta, soups, meats, etc requires a pressure cooker. I hate pressure cookers. I saw my aunt's blow up and it was a new cooker (uncle worked and designed for Presto) If it is water bath safe then can it. Otherwise it's not worth the time and fuel it takes to can. Freezing is great for so much. De-hydrating is good, but I worry about mold so I rarely do it except for my herbs.

Besides, canning pasta, soups, meats, etc requires a pressure cooker. I hate pressure cookers. I saw my aunt's blow up and it was a new cooker (uncle worked and designed for Presto) If it is water bath safe then can it. Otherwise it's not worth the time and fuel it takes to can. Freezing is great for so much. De-hydrating is good, but I worry about mold so I rarely do it except for my herbs.

I cooked so many meals in my Presto. Never had a problem. Great for cooking for a large family and whoever dropped in. :angel:

Wow! Did anyone ever figure out why it blew up? The Presto pressure cooker that I had looked like it was impossible to blow up without dynamite.

I threw mine out when I moved. Don't miss it. I never found that it saved me much time. Everything always seemed mushy to me. I have friends who also swear by them. Not worth the danger to me, I guess.

Cabbage all over the ceiling! Dent in the ceiling, too! Boom! (more like a thud) I thought it was hilarious at the time. Must have been a bad seal.

I don't know when that was, but it's my understanding that the technology and safety have improved greatly in the last couple of decades.

I think you mean pressure canner, not pressure cooker.

I wouldn't be without my pressure cooker or pressure canner.

My aunt had both. They were Prestos (1960s) My mom also had both. The cooker blew with my aunt's cabbage. I hated mom's big old pressure canner. She did, too. But green beans had to be canned that way. We preferred freezing anything that required pressure, as it was safer and better textured.

I gave home pressure canned turkey noodle soup for Christmas a few years back. I canned meat, veggies and stock in the pressure canner and made homemade pasta in packs on the side in ziplock bags. Worked quite well this way.

Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many notes or colors, there are only so many flavors - it's how you combine them that sets you apart.

Wolfgang Puck

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom