"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 11-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

I canned 7 quarts of carrots last night for the first time. I filled the jars with cut up raw carrots and then filled with boiling water leaving 1 inch of head space. I processed 30 min at 10 psi. Everything went okay but this morning when I checked the jars the water level in the jars is low and maybe 1 inch of carrots are are not below the water and exposed to the air in the jar. Is this okay I really hope I did not mess up?

dcpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Head Chef
They should be fine, but may discolor over time from the air in the jar. Just use those jars first.

Excess purging can be caused by a couple different reasons, the most common is having the spring lid on too tight (finger-tight only) which holds back the normal purging until pressure builds and purges suddenly, causing more than the headspace to be forced out.

Another is exposure to any draft or sudden temperature change, during processing or sometimes when the lid is removed.

After the canner returns to normal temperature and the pressure regulator/weight is removed, wait another 10 minutes before removing the lid to allow the jars a little more time to cool down before being exposed to the shock of room temperature. Also make sure there are no fans or drafts blowing around the canner.

Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have.
mcnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
Thanks for the help that explains what I did wrong. I remove the lid right after the gauge read 0. Atleast I know I can use them and my hard work did not go to waste.
dcpac is offline   Reply With Quote