"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I have a fake magic Bullet and herbs and plentiful all year round. I don't see any reason to can or freeze pesto, I just make a little whenever I want it.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thank you to every one for their input. I was looking for a method in which I could can/package this for resale, as I currently rent a commercial kitchen to make my other products. I may have to pursue the services of a co- packer for this one. Again, thanks to all of you for the input.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Head Chef

If I'm not mistaken, Pesto is an uncooked fresh recipe. Canning (Pressure Canner) at temperatures of 240°F for an hour or so would probably destroy all benefits of it. Best to just refrigerate or freeze as mentioned.

Home canning methods are totally different from commercial methods which often requires years of research and very expensive equipment that is inspected regularly for safety, so one should not think you can home 'can' something (especially involving oil) just because it is done commercially.

Our environment contains a lot of dirt, seen and unseen, for the C. Botulinum spore to be carried. It could exist all over the house and kitchen and even on your hands. Totally harmless in this environment, but if a spore gets into a sealed jar and the conditions are right the spore can grow and produce the toxin. This can even include vacuum-sealed (FoodSaver) containers of wet ingredients in the frig.

Just do your research first before jumping in on experimental canning projects.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

canning cilantro idea

What about creating a paste with Cilantro, garlic and lemon juice etc (maybe water if needed for consistency) for canning and then adding the oil when you use it?

Simple instructions on the label... mix with your favourite olive oil : )
Old 08-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I freeze a LOT of pesto. I use Swiss Chard and Greek Basil, EVOO, garlic, nuts (but not pine nuts--allergy). I put it in ice cube trays, a layer of oil, cover with plastic wrap, freeze, pop into ziplock bags. I also have used muffin tins (both mini and regular sized). I pop the pesto muffins out once frozen. What about using butter or coconut oil instead of the EVOO? Not sure about safety, etc., but might be worth researching.

Tags
cilantro