Cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jvpele

Assistant Cook
is there anyway to keep my garden mix from getting cloudy. I use Turmeric for color, but it makes the mix cloudy. Without it the mix is fine.

Cauliflower, Carrots, Celery, Pearl Onions and Jalapeno peppers.

Cut and place in a quart jar add 1/2 tsp salt , 1/2 tsp pickling spice.

Mix 2 cups water and 2 cups vinegar boil for 5 minutes then pour over mix

put seal and ring on jar , and there you have it.

Is that something you would leave on the shelf? I don't think that would be safe. I suspect if you are planning on keeping it you would need to have it refrigerated. I would guess (and remember, this is a guess) that the cloudiness comes from bacteria.

Sorry I am not more help. I'll go do a little research for you and see what I come up with.

Can I beg a favor though? Can you change the yellow in your signature line? It makes my eyes hurt and I nearly skipped reading your post because of that. Maybe a nice red instead? Thanks!

I agree that that sounds frighteningly unsafe unless it's something you refrigerate immediately. The vinegar mixture is not only far too highly diluted for safe pickling, but making matters worse is the fact that your end product isn't processed at all.

Unless you're sticking this right into the refrigerator after it's made, you're cruising for some serious food poisoning issues. And with that in mind - never NEVER eat any home canned/pickled product that is cloudy, has an off-odor, a bulging cap, leaking seal, etc., etc. I know this sounds like common sense, but it still bears repeating.

jvpele said:
is there anyway to keep my garden mix from getting cloudy. I use Turmeric for color, but it makes the mix cloudy. Without it the mix is fine.

Turmeric should not make the mix cloudy. It is used primarily to colour food, as an antiseptic, and to add that elusive, earthy flavour - use just a 1/4 tsp and you'll get the colour. However, perhaps you should let the jars stand for a day or two; that way the turmeric which has not dissolved will sink to the bottom of the jar.

If the cloudiness persists, then you have a fermentation problem.

Well - turmeric can make a pickle cloudy ... especially if you used dried powdered turmeric.

The recipe still has some holes I would like to see answered ... basically ... the entire process ... like, how long did the recipe say to let the pickle ferment, in fridge or out, etc..

And, like Alix mentioned - if you were REALLY that much of a Steeler's fan - you wouldn't use a Signature Line with colors that are too hard for most people to see ... you would just simply use the line: Pittsburgh Steelers Superbowl XL Champions ... you wouldn't be trying to make it so difficult for others to read.

Back
Top Bottom