"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 04-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
Master Chef

If you are serious into storing foods for longer periods of time, then the FoodSaver is the way to go. If you think you will turnover the food at a much quicker pace, then the Ziplock and or Handi-Vac is the way to go.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Although I know the HandiVac isn't as efficient at drawing a vacuum as a FoodSaver ... I'm wondering if you can re-vacuum the bags ... the Reynolds website and the packaging doesn't mention that "specifically" - it says you can reseal the bags - but is that just like resealing a ziplock bag or does that mean you can re-vac the bags??

Now that I have a HandiVac - and I have some bags - and I have a 3-lb bag of frozen vegetables ... and some frozen potatoes ... time to experiment!
I have reused and re-vac the bags with no problem.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biser View Post
Is this a generic ziplock or the trademarked "Ziplock"?

Is one brand better than another? "Ziplock" versus "A&P" versus "BJ's"? As long as they're freezer bags ( thicker, I think )?
Actually you may have to experiment with the brands. Plastic breathes and not all "freezer" bags are equal in reducing the air from penetrating. If you have ever compared the vacuum-seal plastic with the baggies, there is a big difference. But, put it this way, Freezer bags are better than the regular bags.

Any bag or recycled container you end up using also must be "food grade". Many of our everyday stuff that we reuse is not.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #14
Master Chef

I do use the Zip Lock brand in this case. Most of the time I am happy with generics, but the ALDI, Jewel, Kroger, and Dominick's generics in this case just simply did not hold up as well as Zip Lock did. I also liked the double zipper where it goes from two colors to one color, makes it easy to know it is sealed. I always push as much air out as is possible with them, but I also don't store anything longer than maybe a month at most which is why I use them to begin with and not a Handy-Vac or Food Saver.
The most notable problem I had with the generics is they would actually come unzipped in the freezer. Sometimes you would think they were zipped and they actually weren't, but sometimes I knew for sure they were zipped but then later would find them 'popping' open as if the zipper part was expanding or something and causing it to pop out of the channel and hence open up.