Cooking on a cast iron stove.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nagol5

Assistant Cook
My husband and I recently purchased a cast iron cooking stove and I'm wondering what the best type of pressure cooker to use on it. I have used a Magefesa pressure cooker on my regular stove, but didn't know if I should purchase a new one. The type that has the dial gauge on it. I hope someone can help me with this question. Thank you! I use the pressure cooker for canning mainly and want to purchase one that is user friendly and also holds a large amount.

nagol5 said:
I use the pressure cooker for canning mainly and want to purchase one that is user friendly and also holds a large amount.

The main difference between a pressure cooker and a pressure canner (also known as a canner/cooker) is size. As far as being "user friendly" - they are all about the same - just read and follow the instructions that come with it .. there are differences between the weighted guage and the dial types.
Is your cast iron stove coal or wood burning ... or gas or electric? It really doesn't matter ... you'll have to learn how to use (regulate) it for either a pressure cooker or canner.

My favorite is made by "All American" - it's machined to such close tolerances that it doesn't need a rubber gasket seal - but they are a little more pricey.

Probably the most popular pressure canners in the US are Presto, Mirro, and All American. These links are all to one site that seems to have the best prices I've found - but you can always do a Google search for other suppliers.

Back
Top Bottom