Corn Cob Jelly - Anyone tried it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long did you wait for it to set up? It can often take weeks for some jams or jellies to gel. Much of it depends on whether you reached a full rolling boil (220°F). It's not easy on some stoves.

I brought it to a rolling boil like the recipe said. Even after recooking it, it seems pretty loose. It gelled when I tested it, but not in the jar so far.

Mine was set up nicely once it was completely cooled down.

You are right, it would make a nice glaze on chicken or even ham.

Would you share your recipe?

Would you share your recipe?

Yep .. here is what I did. I made a small batch just to try it out. Wish I had doubled it though !

One thing .. this is what I would call a "loose" product .. doesn't get "tight and thick" like a marmalade will, yet it set up nicely and is very easy to use as well as delicious !

6 ears of corn
1 qt of water
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp powdered pectin
Sugar equal to reduced liquid

I cooked the corn then cut the kernals from the cob.

Break the cobs in half and put them in a pot with 1 qt of water.

Bring to a boil and boil hard for 30 minutes - uncovered.

For Jelly strain the liquid to remove the bits of corn. For Jam .. leave them in there.

Measure the liquid you have left. Return it to the pot. Add sugar equal the amount of liquid. Stir in lemon juice and pectin. Bring to a boil and boil hard for 1 minute stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and ladle into prepared jars.

Boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes about 2 half-pint jars.

I'm going to give this a try with sweet corn cobs. Why? Well, we have so much sweet corn and we toss the cobs on the compost pile. Might as well use them. Besides, the blackberry harvest was not great, so we don't have as much jam put up as usual. And, I'm allergic to bee stings, so honey bees are not an option.

Thanks! Mine is a loose product too. So perhaps it set up. I was thinking it would be firmer. Did you use fresh lemon?

No .. I use bottled ReaLemon. The looseness really isn't all that bad. It's a lot easier to spread and you can get a nice even coating of it.

I did put some in my hot tea but didn't care for it.

However .. awesome on cornbread and toast.

Tonight we will use a bit on some of our grilled chicken.

Thanks! Mine is a loose product too. So perhaps it set up. I was thinking it would be firmer. Did you use fresh lemon?

In general, you should always use bottled lemon juice for canning because it has a consistent level of acidity, while it varies in fresh lemons.

Bottled lemon juice GG? Did not know that fact - I'll file it away in case I ever do can anything. Unfortunately, I'm much better just sitting on my can. :ermm:

Do you have Minute Maid lemon juice in the plastic bottle by you? I usually find it in the frozen foods section in grocery stores. It tastes so much more like fresh squeezed lemon than the stuff in the green glass bottle (it's still green, isn't it?) that I don't mind using it if I don't have lemons in the fruit bin. Highly recommend it you've never tried it - good stuff.

Bottled lemon juice GG? Did not know that fact - I'll file it away in case I ever do can anything. Unfortunately, I'm much better just sitting on my can. :ermm:

Do you have Minute Maid lemon juice in the plastic bottle by you? I usually find it in the frozen foods section in grocery stores. It tastes so much more like fresh squeezed lemon than the stuff in the green glass bottle (it's still green, isn't it?) that I don't mind using it if I don't have lemons in the fruit bin. Highly recommend it you've never tried it - good stuff.

We probably do have it here but I have always used the other, as did my Mom and as many relatives as I can think of and nobody has ever had a bad result.

Thusly .. it is always available here and I have never had a bad result.

For this kid ... don't fix it if it's not broke !

Yeah .. still green but now plastic bottles.

Back
Top Bottom