Couple bushels of imperfect pears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
My pear tree left me about 10 bushels pears, and I threw the worst of the buggy ones in the garden. I have at least a couple bushels in the house, FINALLY ripe enough to do something with--canning. So far, I did a test run of a dozen pears the other night and I only had to throw out 1/2 or 1/3 of a pear if it was bad in an area, the rest was getting sweet and wonderful.
I'm thinking pears chopped and in a light syrup for one.
Maybe pear butter, maybe pear sauce. I'd like to try something exotic too, by that I mean something with some spices or herbs in it, maybe with other fruits. I've got the week-end. Anyone have an idea I can draw from, I'd really appreciate it, thank you in advance, ~Blissful

I know this is a little late for your pears, but my neighbor puts peppermint candy or cinnamon candy in hers. I have tried them and they are very good.

I know this is a little late for your pears, but my neighbor puts peppermint candy or cinnamon candy in hers. I have tried them and they are very good.
Still thank you for caring. I ended up canning gallons (in quarts and pints) of them with a light syrup. I still have a box of them just ripening I'm going to make jam with them, and the peppermint candy or cinnamon candy is a great idea too. Thank you! ~ Bliss

Here's a recipe for Pear Butter and you might also consider Pear Marmalade and Pear Relish.

Pear Butter

7 pounds medium pears -- quartered, cored
4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup orange juice

Prepare Ball brand or Kerr brand jars and closures according to manufacturer's instructions.

Cook pears until soft, adding only enough water to prevent sticking (about 1/2 cup). Press through sieve or food mill. Measure 2 quarts pulp; combine with sugar in a large saucepot, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add remaining ingredients, cook until thick enough to round up on a spoon. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking.

Carefully ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles with a nonmetallic spatula. Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met -- fingertip tight.

Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. At elevations higher than 1,000 feet, boil 2 additional minutes for each additional 1,000 feet elevation.

This recipe yields about 4 pints.

Back
Top Bottom