"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 06-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Crispy Blue Pickles

Have you located the recipe for the pickles you asked about in 2006? If not, I think the recipe I have from my grandmother might be the one you wanted.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
Master Chef

These are not blue but they are tasty!

Wegman's carries them.

Sechler's Pickles, Sweet Dill Strip, Candied

We also have a local brand called Bell-View that has candied dill strips. Smuckers used to make them back in the 70's. None of them are as good as the homemade 14 day pickles but they come close!

Old 06-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
Head Chef

no recipe yet
but i have since found out the spice might of been Alum
These were very sweet very crisp and crunchy.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:39 AM   #14
Master Chef

Here are two recipes, very similar.

These pickles are a lot of work but they are worth it.

We always made them in chunks and were never allowed to open a jar before Thanksgiving.

If you see any mold or scum on the top of the liquid don't get discouraged, skim it off and keep on going!

My sister adds bright green food coloring to hers but, we always left them plain.

I am old and lazy so now I buy a jar when I need a fix!

14 Day Sweet pickles

2 gallons cucumbers
3 plus tbsp. alum, divided
8 c. sugar, divided
Water
2 c. salt
6 c. vinegar
1/2 c. pickling spice
Gauze

Wash and prepare cucumbers as desired for pickles (whole, sliced, etc.). Place cucumbers in a glass or ceramic bowl or crock (non-metallic). Make brine of 1 gallon water and the salt. Bring solution to a boil and pour over cucumbers. Cover with paper towels. Let stand, stirring daily.
DAY 9: Drain and rinse cucumbers. Clean the crock or bowl and replace the cucumbers inside. Make a new solution of one gallon of water and 1 heaping tablespoon of alum. Bring this to a boil and pour over cucumbers.
DAY 10: Same as Day 9.
DAY 11: Same as Day 9.
DAY 12: Drain and rinse cucumbers. Clean the crock or bowl and replace the cucumbers inside. Cut a square of gauze and bundle the pickling spice inside by tying the ends. Heat the vinegar with 5 cups of sugar and the pickling spice bundle until boiling. Pour syrup, including the spice packet, into the cucumber crock.
DAY 13: Drain cucumbers, retaining vinegar syrup and spice packet. Replace the cucumbers inside the crock. Reheat the vinegar syrup with 2 cups of additional sugar and the pickling spice bundle until boiling. Pour syrup, including the spice packet, into the cucumber crock.
DAY 14: Drain cucumbers, retaining vinegar syrup and spice packet. Wash canning jars and pack cucumbers inside warm jars. Re-heat the vinegar syrup with 1 cup of additional sugar and the pickling spice bundle until boiling. Discard the spice bundle. Pour syrup into the cucumber jars, leaving 1/2 inch air space. Seal jars and boil them in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.

Icicle Pickles
8 quarts medium sized cucumbers, sliced into long spears. Combine one gallon of boiling water with two cups of salt. Pour over the cucumbers and let stand for one week. Stir every morning. At the end of the week drain them and let them stand in clear water for 24 hours. Drain them again. Cover with one gallon boiling water with one heaping teaspoon of alum added. Let stand twenty four hours and drain. Boil together two and a half quarts of vinegar, eights pints of sugar and a handful of mixed pickling spices. Pour over the pickles. For the next four days drain off syrup and boil. Pour hot syrup back onto pickles. On the fourth day pack pickles in hot sterilized jars and pour hot syrup over them and seal.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #15
Head Chef

thanks will give them a try this summer