"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
Head Chef

Cucumbers and the Foodsaver

I apologize if this is in the wrong section ... not sure where it really fits.

We have a ton of cucumbers in the garden and while I will be making pickles and lots of salad, we really like them peeled and cut for snacks.

My question is this: Can I cut them into spears and vacuum pack them? I'm not looking to freeze them, just keep them in the refrigerator for on the go snacks and quick additions to the lunch bag. That said, how long would they last in the 'fridge?

Old 09-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Master Chef

Wellll... cucumbers tend to squash a bit under the pressure of the vaccuum. Do you have a newer modle that has the pulse feature? If so, I would use that as to get as much air out of the package without turning them into new shapes. I would also remove the seeds before storing them.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

If you use the foodsaver canisters then yes you can do it. I would not recommend doing it in the bags though.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Just a vote frl handiVac. You can control the amount of vacuum. My foodsaver went into the penalty box this morning. It decided to seal instead od vacuuming.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Head Chef

I also vote for the Reynolds Handi-Vac bags. Also, if cutting the cucumbers lengthwise into quarters, keep them intact when in the bag and it will help keep from squishing.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Head Chef

Thank you all for your responses ... we only have a Foodsaver so trying to make do with that. Sattie, it is exactly the "new shapes" that I am afraid of! Mcnerd, my dh suggested cutting them the same way, I think I'll try it. I have found [with the Foodsaver] that you can hit cancel while it is vacuuming and then seal it using the seal button. Adillo, I had that happen the other day when I was doing zuchinni ... scared me to death since it is only a week old!

GB, how do your canisters work? We got 2 free with our purchase and I have yet to use them ... do you find you use them often?
Old 09-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

I use the canisters 99.95% of the time JMediger. The only time I use the bags is when I am sealing something for the freezer. Other than that I use the canisters and they work great. You can seal and unseal them as much as you like so for things you use frequently it is great as well. In the fridge right now I have parm regiano, homemade pickles, leftover Chinese food, soup, two or three other leftover meals, and probably some other things. In the cabinet I have popcorn kernels, flour, sugar, cereal, all my rice and grains, and probably some other things all in canisters.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I take it cucumbers aren't one of those vegetables that needs to "breathe"... release gasses?
I am always having cukes go bad. I tend to buy too many because I don't get into the store much. I would love to find a way to make them last longer, cut or uncut.