CWS' Quick onion and rhubarb pickle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Not sure where to put this.

Amount: 500 ml (1 pt)

Ingredients:

Brine

1/2 c water
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1/8 c rice wine vinegar
1/8 c white vinegar
2 tsp maple syrup or honey
1-1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp yellow mustard seed
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
6-8 juniper berries
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
1-3 clove buds
1/2 tsp peppercorns
1/2 tsp dill seed

1 sweet or red onion, sliced in 1/8" slices
2-3 stalks rhubarb, diced

Directions:

Bring all the brine ingredients to a boil.
Layer onion and rhubarb in a 500 ml (pint) mason jar. Pour brine over it. Let cool and put in fridge. Keeps for up to one week.

Thank you! I was going to ask you about the recipe after I saw it mentioned in your dinner post yesterday.

Not sure where to put this.

Amount: 500 ml (1 pt)

Ingredients:

Brine

1/2 c water
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1/8 c rice wine vinegar
1/8 c white vinegar
2 tsp maple syrup or honey
1-1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp yellow mustard seed
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
6-8 juniper berries
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
1-3 clove buds
1/2 tsp peppercorns
1/2 tsp dill seed

1 sweet or red onion, sliced in 1/8" slices
2-3 stalks rhubarb, diced

Directions:

Bring all the brine ingredients to a boil.
Layer onion and rhubarb in a 500 ml (pint) mason jar. Pour brine over it. Let cool and put in fridge. Keeps for up to one week.

CWS, could I "can" this pickle as well for a longer shelf life?
Rhubarb is in season here and I would love to make this for my Mother, she loves Rhubarb... the problem for me is I won't see her probably until October.

Also, this sounds like alot of ingredients to fit in a pint sized jar .... does it make multiple jars?

Last edited:
CWS, could I "can" this pickle as well for a longer shelf life?
Rhubarb is in season here and I would love to make this for my Mother, she loves Rhubarb... the problem for me is I won't see her probably until October.

Also, this sounds like alot of ingredients to fit in a pint sized jar .... does it make multiple jars?

There is only 1 c liquid. The onion was a medium sized one. It fit in a pint jar. You could open water bath process it. I'd do it like bread and butter pickles.

I didn't have a recipe, Dawg, but did write it down as I went. I noodled the idea of a quick pickle with rhubarb for a couple of days. No honey or maple syrup, you could use brown sugar.

There is only 1 c liquid. The onion was a medium sized one. It fit in a pint jar. You could open water bath process it. I'd do it like bread and butter pickles.

COOL!
I'm going to give this a try CWS, I have all of the ingredients, other than the fresh Rhubarb, mahalo, thanks!
Hmmm, if I left out the Onion and used all Rhubarb, what do you think, 3-4 stalks per pint?

COOL!
I'm going to give this a try CWS, I have all of the ingredients, other than the fresh Rhubarb, mahalo, thanks!
Hmmm, if I left out the Onion and used all Rhubarb, what do you think, 3-4 stalks per pint?
Since there's one cup of liquid, and a pint is two cups, use one cup of diced rhubarb.

I would double-check with an approved canning recipe to make sure the pH level is low enough to be safe before canning it.

I took some and wrapped it in foil and tossed it on the grill with the chicken.

I'll this for Mom as well... thanks

This was a savory way to use rhubarb since I don't like it in desserts (except rhubarb ice cream).

Rhubarb Ice Cream? recipe please?
Ice cream is my Mom's kryptonite, so much so that I asked for an Ice Cream Maker for my Birthday! :LOL:

GG, what about this recipe to get it all going, but use the spices that CWS mentions, I think Mom will like that combo...

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/04/pickled-rhubarb-stalk-recipe.html
That would be perfect. Marisa is well-known for using meticulous canning methods and her recipes reflect that. (I have three of her books ;)).

My concern was with the rice vinegar - I don't think it's as acidic as distilled white and apple cider vinegars. I just checked the bottle in my pantry and rice vinegar is diluted to 4.2 percent while the others are 5 percent. So I would skip the rice vinegar for canning purposes.

I plan on canning some rhubarb stalks this week. Need lids. I also will follow a TNT brine ratio for canning, but my spice blend....

I plan on canning some rhubarb stalks this week. Need lids. I also will follow a TNT brine ratio for canning, but my spice blend....
I did make a batch of pickled rhubarb a couple of weeks ago. Gonna open a jar today.

Attachments

• IMG_20180622_121847.jpg
    IMG_20180622_121847.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 127
Back
Top Bottom