"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I don't see your question as being about canning as much as it is architectural design. People get paid to do that. My advise is for you to see a professional.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Diavolicchio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I don't see your question as being about canning as much as it is architectural design. People get paid to do that. My advise is for you to see a professional.

I've already designed the kitchen over the past two weeks with the help of a handful of canning folks from a couple other online forums. None of whom, I might add, are architects.

For the record, a professional wasn't necessary. All that was necessary were a few creative minds who really understood canning and were willing to provide input about the optimal way they'd layout and equip a small canning kitchen space to maximize its usability.

The only reason this particular thread is active on here is because someone finally responded to the original post today, 2 1/2 weeks after I originally posted it.

Let's just consider this thread now dead, shall we?

John

www.lambabbey.com
Diavolicchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Attitude gets you nowhere.

This thread may be dead but I could'nt resist complimenting you on how you deal with people.When I first joined this site I was total jerk.I asked a question and when I diddnt get the responce I wanted I acted like a baby.I guess it's personal problem.I have since learned to take the advice ,or lack there of for what its worth.We don't read minds nor can we design something that is clearly allready decided.I have been in the cabinet buisiness for 16 years and never canned a thing.Get pull out shelfs in the lower cabs and full runs of upper cabs.I would assume canneing is like cooking.When you need stuff you take it out and when your done you put it away.As for my compliment thanks for being an even bigger jerk than I was.Do as I did and appoligize and wait for the next know it all to join and you will gladly hand them the crown.Good luck,you wont have it long.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:04 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna be View Post
This thread may be dead but I could'nt resist complimenting you on how you deal with people.When I first joined this site I was total jerk.I asked a question and when I diddnt get the responce I wanted I acted like a baby.I guess it's personal problem.I have since learned to take the advice ,or lack there of for what its worth.We don't read minds nor can we design something that is clearly allready decided.I have been in the cabinet buisiness for 16 years and never canned a thing.Get pull out shelfs in the lower cabs and full runs of upper cabs.I would assume canneing is like cooking.When you need stuff you take it out and when your done you put it away.As for my compliment thanks for being an even bigger jerk than I was.Do as I did and appoligize and wait for the next know it all to join and you will gladly hand them the crown.Good luck,you wont have it long.

You may stop beating the horse, cupcake. It's dead.

John
www.lambabbey.com
Old 01-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #25
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

OK folks.... let's try to stay on topic of the original post.

John, do you anticipate having more than one person in this space at a time?

Do you have any layout limitations based on plumbing?

Personally I like to have several distinct work spaces and where canning is concerned locating a large sink so that you could use both sides might be useful. I might try to put a very wide sink diagonally in a corner to maximize space. SInce you will be canning and have things to drain and cool, a counter (or sink) that has a built in drainboard might be nice.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #26
Mr. Greenjeans

um
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
um

I appreciate the input, but the kitchen is already designed.

Out of curiosity though, why would you place a stove or a cooktop butted directly up against a side wall, especially if it has gas burners? Aren't you just asking for scorched walls? Further, if the pots or pans being used have handles, you're got an extra disadvantage of them hitting the adjacent wall.

John
www.lambabbey.com
Old 01-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #28
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavolicchio View Post

The basic components I believe I'm going to need for this canning kitchen are:
1) A couple of high-output burners (22,000 BTU) that can be used indoors.
2) A utility sink.
3) A prep area (with butcher block)
4) A full counter work space for canning and the subsequent cooling, labeling and packing of what I've canned.
5) As much storage as I can allocate for canning supplies, both in the way of counter space and cupboard space.
6) Waste containers for hauling off organic material to the compost area.

Beyond these, I'm at a loss.

I'd really appreciate some expert advice in how to design and equip this space. One advantage that I've got is that a full kitchen will indeed just be 5 feet away, so I'll be able to use that space as well for things that aren't going to fill the house with heat and steam (dishwasher, refrigerator, extra sink and counter top space, etc.)

I'm envisioning two 8' long counters (24" deep) with a 36" wide aisle between them. A utility sink will be part of one counter, or possible at the opposite end of the room between the counters. I'll also have two high-output burners for accommodating both a 40 quart stock pot and a 40 quart pressure cooker/canner.

Here's where I hit the wall though and need your advice.

Would any of you experts be kind enough to offer me some advice as to how YOU would set up a seasonal canning kitchen given the space constraints I've got to work with?

John
If I were setting this up I would spend some time working these issues:

Storage for large items: I would personally have cabinets above counters and open storage below counters. This would accommodate large canning pots and also give some storage for boxes or containers of produce waiting to be processed.

Counter surface: Something that will hold up under heat and not scratch or mar if a heavy item is dragged across... (think boxes with sandy bottoms).
Waste management: Tough issue - there's likely to be a good bit from cleaning produce. I have bin built into my counter that works well but you have to be careful to locate these where you are actually going to work.

Easy clean floors. They are likely to get wet.

Great lighting.

I would leave room for a wall clock and chalk/white board. I recently saw some cabinets in a hobby room redone with chalk board paint on the doors. Great way to label the contents:)
Old 01-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #29
Mr. Greenjeans

Thats why I said I was torn in my PM to you. As for scortched walls, I would put stanless steel around the stove top. But you are correct about room on both sides of the stove for handles. I am experiencing that in my home right now. But certainly a small counter section would come in handy for handle room and spoon placement. However, it needs to be ofset from the sing or you will get butt to butt accidents.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #30
Master Chef

Just out of curiosity, if you are building small house you probably have a small family so why do you need to do so much cannig. It ireally is an honest question. I have 5 kids and would love to do more canning, but i just cannot afford the space to store it, so my canning is minimal, mostly jams and some pickling.