"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 01-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #61
Mr. Greenjeans

You two should compare canning stuff. John, Alix is my goto girl for canning questions. She has good sources!

Old 01-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #62
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavolicchio View Post
I appreciate the input, but the kitchen is already designed.

Out of curiosity though, why would you place a stove or a cooktop butted directly up against a side wall, especially if it has gas burners? Aren't you just asking for scorched walls? Further, if the pots or pans being used have handles, you're got an extra disadvantage of them hitting the adjacent wall.

John
John, I just realized you never got my PM before this post. If you look up in the right corner of the screen you will see notifications and private messages...

Old 01-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #63
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Diavolicchio
I think I've found the best sink for this little kitchen. It's actually very cool because it has a raised saddle in the middle of it for resting heavy pots, allowing for greater ease in cleaning them. I'm sold. Being an undermount sink, it'll allow for the routed drain channels on each side and will work perfectly with a commercial kitchen sprayer faucet, as seen in this photo:

The sink is also the same width as the cooktop (36"), so I'm thinking of simply placing them on opposites sides of this kitchen to give the place some symmetry. It'll also open up a large prep/work space along the far counter, yet leave some space on the opposite sides of the sink and cooktop too.

Here's the cooktop:

. . . and here's how I'm thinking of positioning them:

Would you folks locate the sink and cooktop differently? Possibly the sink against the wall opposite the door? I'm open to other configurations if it seems they would allow a more efficient use of the room for canning purposes. . .

I'm all ears. . .

John
www.lambabbey.com
Diavolicchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #64
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I love that sink!

The new drawing is helpful... are you right handed or left handed?

I might position the sink on the wall opposite the door if your right handed... here's my reasoning. If you think about how you cook, there are always hot dripping utensils.. If the sink is close enough you can actually place them in the sink instead on on the counter next to the stove. While the sink opposite the stove is very close, you have to turn around and will drip across the floor.

Also - on the off chance that you will have more than one person in this space, having the stove and the sink exactly opposite is going to mean some tush bumping, as one person is likely to be using the sink and the other at the stove.

For the same reason, I would consider placing the sink off center on the wall. Assuming the stove remains where you currently have it located, you might want position the sink on the wall opposite the door but further away from the stove.

On edit: Looking at your drawing again... I wold leave the sink where it is and move the stove to the center of the wall opposite the door (short wall).
Old 01-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #65
Senior Cook

Wow, that is some serious canning. I have a small area off my patio that is used as an outside kitchen. It is on a cement pad up against my brick house. It has a roof over it but is opened on three sides. I have a sink, cabinets and cooktop.
I love my little kitchen. It is great for oyster roasts, entertaining, canning.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #66
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I love that sink!

The new drawing is helpful... are you right handed or left handed?
I'm right handed.

Quote:
I might position the sink on the wall opposite the door if your right handed... here's my reasoning. If you think about how you cook, there are always hot dripping utensils.. If the sink is close enough you can actually place them in the sink instead on on the counter next to the stove. While the sink opposite the stove is very close, you have to turn around and will drip across the floor.
That's a great point.

Quote:
Also - on the off chance that you will have more than one person in this space, having the stove and the sink exactly opposite is going to mean some tush bumping, as one person is likely to be using the sink and the other at the stove.
I'm designing this little kitchen to be used by one person at a time, but your point is valid. I think it would kind of challenging for two people to be using this space without there being a whole lotta tush bumping.

Quote:
For the same reason, I would consider placing the sink off center on the wall. Assuming the stove remains where you currently have it located, you might want position the sink on the wall opposite the door but further away from the stove.
That may be the way to go. If I were to shift the sink to the far wall though, I'd have to shift the cooktop off-center to allow for an 18" cupboard door between the cooktop and the sink for the Hafele blind corner storage unit that will be going there. (If I go with the original configuration, I'd have both 18" cupboard doors along the far wall instead.)

Quote:
On edit: Looking at your drawing again... I wold leave the sink where it is and move the stove to the center of the wall opposite the door (short wall).
I like your idea (and rationale for) shifting the sink to that far wall of the kitchen. The problem with having the stove against that far wall is 1) it wouldn't be positioned below the 12" x 72" awning window that will be directly above the left counter, providing great ventilation; 2) it's just bad feng shui (my apologies for the woowoo stuff) to have a stove positioned where you have your back to the door while you're cooking.

I'll try modifying the layout with the sink against the back wall and with the cooktop shifted. Thanks for the input; it's much appreciated.

John
www.lambabbey.com
Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #67
Mr. Greenjeans

I was worrie about the sink and stove being exactly opposite but now that I think about it, it shouldn't really be a sticking point.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #68
Assistant Cook

Janet:

Here's the space with the sink and cooktop moved to the alternate layout:

Actually, I think I like it even more. I could actually go with a slightly deeper pair of blind corner storage units in the lower cupboards on each side of the sink, allowing me a ton of storage.

These are the units I'm talking about:

The cupboard doors to each of these units would now be on the each side of the room (rather than at the back.) I've got just enough space between the cooktop and the back counter to allow for the largest model.

I really appreciate your input and perspective on this. Thanks.

John
www.lambabbey.com
Old 01-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #69
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

about corner cabinets....

We redid our kitchen this past summer and before we ordered cabinets, I went and played with lazy susans and other corner solutions. Some look like great ideas, but in practice aren't so great. I especially didn't like the ones that folded out although I didn't see the specific one you are contemplating

Here's a drawing of the ones we settled on and so far I'm really happy with them. The doors sort of fold together in the center and then spin around with the lazy susan. They snap back into position when they come back to the from of the cabinet. The benefit here is the wide access to that corner cabinet and I have actually begun to store my biggest stuff on these shelves.

I like the new drawing - it gives you some bigger work areas.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #70
Assistant Cook

Quote:
about corner cabinets....

We redid our kitchen this past summer and before we ordered cabinets, I went and played with lazy susans and other corner solutions. Some look like great ideas, but in practice aren't so great. I especially didn't like the ones that folded out although I didn't see the specific one you are contemplating
I grew up in a house with a Lazy Susan in the corner of the kitchen. As kids, we would take great delight in spinning that thing, fully-loaded, like a roulette wheel and listening to all of the cans and boxes blow off the sides of it from centrifugal force, not to be seen again for many years. I wouldn't be surprised if my dear mother, who still lives in that house, occasionally retrieves a circa 1970 can of Campbell's Mushroom Soup from the bowels of that cabinet.

I'm glad to hear you found one that you really like. I've just got bad associations with them.

Quote:
I like the new drawing - it gives you some bigger work areas.
Thanks. I think moving that sink to the far wall and shifting the cooktop closer to the door a bit make the space just a little more workable than the previous layout.

Honestly, I never thought I could fit this much kitchen into a 7' x 8' box. I'll be really curious to see if this room is as workable in real life as it looks to be on paper.

Thanks again,

John

www.lambabbey.com