"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 01-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #71
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Diavolicchio
I just discovered that the 36" cooktop I've been considering would require a few more inches in clearance on each side than I'd anticipated, which would cause some issues with laying out the cupboards beneath them. So I've shifted to the 30" model which fits perfectly with the clearances. The five burner would've be nice, but probably a little bit of overkill.

Will four burners be enough? I think the four burners on the particular cooktop I'm going with (a Bluestar) should be quite sufficient. Bluestar makes the only ranges (and cooktops) on the market with a restaurant-power 22,000 BTU burner. Actually, the 30" cooktop has two of them, along with an 8,500 BTU burner and a simmer burner. I think it's ideally-sized for this little 7' x 8' kitchen and powerful enough for a 40-quart pressure cooker.

Here are two great little video clips about these cooktops.

Video Clip 1
Video Clip 2

John

www.lambabbey.com
Diavolicchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #72
Senior Cook

You just cant kill a thread!

Very cool twist.Your post is by far my favorite on this site.Its like a game of clue. Pretty clever and I am glad your here.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #73
Assistant Cook

Wanna Be:

What a nice post. I appreciate the kind words.

John
www.lambabbey.com
Old 01-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #74
Assistant Cook

I'm happy to report I was able to make a number of minor modifications in this little kitchen space to be able to accommodate the 36" cooktop afterall. Do I really need the extra burner? I'm sure I could manage without it. But I just really prefer the flexibility of this larger cooktop.

Both the 30" and 36" Bluestar cooktops come with two - 22,000 BTU burners. The challenge with the 30" model is that both of these burners are in the front. If you're using a huge canner/cooker on one of them, it makes using the burner behind it really awkward.

On the 36" model, Bluestar has located one of these powerful burners in the middle of the back row, making it ideal for accommodating a huge canner while keeping it from blocking anything else.

John
www.lambabbey.com
Old 01-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #75
Assistant Cook

Regarding storage of canning jars, It looks like the lower cupboards to the right of the dishwasher will be able to accommodate 16 cases of 1 quart canning jars (192 jars), and still provide sufficient space to accommodate the necessary lids and rings.

It should make the whole sterilization process effortless having the jars right next to that little dishwasher.

John
www.lambabbey.com
Old 02-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #76
Assistant Cook

I know that this post is probably dead but I came across it today when I searched for canning kitchens. I am wanting to put in a small canning kitchen that will also double as a kitchenette for visiting guests. After reading this post and thinking of how I would set up a dream canning kitchen I would put in two stoves with a sink in the middle.

I can grape juice, apple sauce, peaches, pears, tomatoes, cider, and apricots. When I can the tomatoes and the peaches it would be so nice to have a stove on each side of the sink. The one on the left side to have a pot with boiling water to dunk the fruit and have it close enough to the sink to remove fruit and put in cold water bath to remove the skin. And the stove on the right hand side to hold the canning kettles. Also two stoves would come in very handy for making apple sauce, one for cooking the apples and one for canning. Also two stoves would come in handy for canning grape juice.

So my dream kitchen would have a small stove on the left side, a sink in the middle, and a larger stove on the right hand side