"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
Master Chef

I agree with mcnerd - you need the canner to get up to that magic 240F temp - if your guage is off and reading higher than it actually is - the temp is going to be below that. That's why the Ag Extension Services usually recommend having your guage checked at the beginning of canning season every year.

As for the lucky guy that water-cans bear meat - I also agree that he is very lucky. Botulism spores can survive over 5 hours in 212F boiling water.

Our grandmothers canned in ways that we now know are not safe these days. A lot of us were lucky!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
Cook

I am going to go down today and get my guage checked. I only found 1 place that still does it around my area. The other office told me that I should call Presto and convert my Brand New Canner to a weight guage because they are more acurate. Maybe I will buy a second canner with the weight guage in the future. Until them I am keeping what I have.

I usually can things all year round. I just can heavy during the fall.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
Head Chef

Keep the one you have and eventually purchase the 3-weight rocker gauge for it. Then you can ignore the dial gauge. The rocker is much easier since you don't have to stand there and watch the gauge and constantly adjust the heat. I get mine going and go off and do other things until the timer goes off.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
Cook

Jusr got back from having the guage checked and everything was A OK.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
Head Chef

Good news and now you know for sure your canning results are good too.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #16
Cook

Yeah I was begining to wory about my canned foods after your first response. Now I know I am good for a year.

Also picked up some reading material on canning red meat, poultry, game meat, veggies, fruit, sea food, Tomato products, and a book on caring for your pressure canner.

I'd like to find some recipie books for canning like soups and other stuff. My mom use to do chicken soup that was real good.

I was told by my buddy that their are certain spices that shouldn't be used in the foods you can because they can produce gasses that cause the lid to pop up?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Head Chef

I highly recommend the "So Easy To Preserve" canning book from the National Center For Home Food Preservation ($18 includes s/h). There is also a nice book entitled "Small-Batch Preserving" by Topps & Howard.

Not too many soup recipes. Most are best being frozen. You cannot add noodles or other pasta, rice, flour, cream or milk or other thickening agents.

Most 'dry' spices/herbs you can add/change to a recipe without affecting it, but use of fresh spices/herbs is a no-no. I've never had any experience of spices producting gases, which sounds more like spoilage and bacteria growth which does exactly that and use of fresh herbs could cause such a problem. One of the issue discouraging people from experimenting with their own custom recipes is the 'instability' of the ingredients when in the jar and sitting at room temperature for a long time.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
Master Chef

In addition to mcnerd's book list I would add the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving - it has about 400 recipes that cover a lot of things.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #19
Cook

Daing I still need 6 posts befor I can post links. Gosh darn it!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:03 AM   #20
Cook

Hey mcnerd's are these the books you are talking about?

Small-Batch Preserving

Amazon.com: The Complete Book of Year-Round Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes: Ellie Topp, Margaret Howard: Books

So Easy To Preserve

So Easy to Preserve