Different kind of canning question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonshadows

Assistant Cook
I e got a different kind of canning question, I was given 4-1gallon cans of jelly/ jam originally destined for a restaurant
I do plenty of canning of fresh fruits vegetables, and even meat so I'm familiar with each type of canning
My question is what would be the best way to "re can" these jams and jellies? Obviously we can eat a gallon of jam before it goes bad! I'd like to open these large gallon cans and re can them into pint jars
Tips, tricks, suggestions ----- thanks in advance Scott

This is not an approved method, since there isn't a an approved method for recanning. However, every time someone has some jam or jelly that doesn't set or that doesn't seal, they give the following directions.
Reprocess it.
If it didn't set, either cook it down or add more pectin, reboil, put in sterilized jars, and water bath can.
If it didn't seal, bring the contents to a boil, put in a new sterilized jar, new lid, new screw cap, and water bath can. (use this method)
If it was me, that's what I'd do. (Good catch on getting all that jelly and jam! What luck.)

Ok that's what I was thinking. Re scoring the jelly I have a friend that works as a food service rep. He gets food from the different food perveyors and then makes custom recipes and sells the food to resorts and restaurants with his recipes or just sells them the products (the recipes are just examples)
I have a nerve problem and eating natural foods helps me a lot so most of the food I get from him the kids eat (frozen burritos and tamales different appetizers you'd find in bars etc)
Thanks for the advise and reassurance I was going in the right direction

Whoa! That's a lot of jam/jelly! Welcome to DC!

+4, I agree with the others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom