"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #31
Head Chef

I really like the idea of using lemon peel strips in your recipe. That recipe has 3 T salt to 5 cups liquid (water vinegar mixture). That's almost as salty as the pickles I'm going to make in the morning. ( 3 T salt to 4 cups liquid)

I made a green smoothie I call Green Thumb Virgin Mary, and it begs for a tooth pick of marinated olives or a pickled green bean stir stick. (tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, zucchini and spices)

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I really like the idea of using lemon peel strips in your recipe. That recipe has 3 T salt to 5 cups liquid (water vinegar mixture). That's almost as salty as the pickles I'm going to make in the morning. ( 3 T salt to 4 cups liquid)

I made a green smoothie I call Green Thumb Virgin Mary, and it begs for a tooth pick of marinated olives or a pickled green bean stir stick. (tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, zucchini and spices)

Thanks!
I want the list of what goes in the VM smoothie! I cut the salt to 2 T for the 2nd batch I made. I will make yet another batch (or two) when the 2nd crop of beans comes in. The heirloom wax beans we plant (Dragon Tongue) are flat, so not ideal for swizzle sticks <g>.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I want the list of what goes in the VM smoothie! I cut the salt to 2 T for the 2nd batch I made. I will make yet another batch (or two) when the 2nd crop of beans comes in. The heirloom wax beans we plant (Dragon Tongue) are flat, so not ideal for swizzle sticks <g>.
With a smoothie--I leave all the pulp in it......but this could just as easily be juiced if that's the way you like it and you have a juicer.

Red: 2 tomatoes, 1 small cucumber, half a green pepper
Green: 2 tomatoes, a cucumber, green pepper, zucchini piece, lettuce or chard

The Red and Green taste almost identical, it just looks different.

Seasonings: S&P (I like black pepper), Worcestershire sauce, Hot sauce, cayenne pepper, celery salt.
Garnish with a celery stick, a dill pickle, marinated olives on a pick or a pickled green bean or two.

It makes a good breakfast!

------------------------------------

I finished making the 6 qts of pickles yesterday. I used a 2:1 water to vinegar solution with 3 T salt/4 cups solution plus seasonings (onions, dill, garlic). Next time I'll up the salt to 3 and 1/2 T/4 cups solution, just for the extra kick. (This is not an approved tested recipe, please only use approved tested recipes.)
I water bathed them using a pasteurization process of 30 minutes at 180 degrees F. It's a pain to try to keep the temperature stable at 180 degrees F, but, the pickles *should* be more crisp than those cooked in a boiling water bath at boiling temperatures.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I finished making the 6 qts of pickles yesterday. I used a 2:1 water to vinegar solution with 3 T salt/4 cups solution plus seasonings (onions, dill, garlic). Next time I'll up the salt to 3 and 1/2 T/4 cups solution, just for the extra kick. (This is not an approved tested recipe, please only use approved tested recipes.)
I water bathed them using a pasteurization process of 30 minutes at 180 degrees F. It's a pain to try to keep the temperature stable at 180 degrees F, but, the pickles *should* be more crisp than those cooked in a boiling water bath at boiling temperatures.
As they said in that Western movie (can't recall the name just now...) "Ain't nothing like bringin' in the herd." In this case herd = pickles. I sure hope they are good!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
As they said in that Western movie (can't recall the name just now...) "Ain't nothing like bringin' in the herd." In this case herd = pickles. I sure hope they are good!
City Slickers--great movie!

They are just fine, I took the extra brine and put in a few cucumber's worth of spears, and had some for dinner. I'll probably keep adding cucumbers to it, keeping it in the fridge until the herd is all brought in.

Tags
dill