"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Head Chef

Dill pickle chips aka hamburger dills

With all the pickles we have here--bread and butter, fermented dills, quick pickled dills and numerous pickles with pickling spices, and let's not forget the sweet and dill relishes--I need to make some dill pickle chips.

They are the overly sour and salty ones used on hamburgers. I refuse to buy them at the store--why should I when I have cucumbers?

I haven't found a university extension recipe for dills without sugar in it and although we have no sugar restrictions--dill pickle chips aren't sweet at all.

Here's what I came up with--stored in the refrigerator and just for testing for taste.
3 cups water
1 cup vinegar
1/4 cup canning salt
2 T garlic
1 T dried dill weed
3 T chopped onion

Boil the mixture and let cool. Pour over cucumber slices. It tastes pretty good, has that back of your throat, clear your throat sourness to it--like when you grab a hamburger dill chip.

If anyone finds a university extension approved recipe for dill pickles with no sugar, please let me know. THANKS!

Old 07-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I had to go grab a pickle after reading this!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

There is a recipe on this page:
Making Pickles
It calls for only 1/4 cup sugar for 8 lbs. of cucumbers.
Such a small amount for that many cucumbers.
I see no reason why you can't omit the sugar from it altogether.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

If you have the time and wherewithal to try fermented dills, there is a recipe on this PDF file Dill Pickles (Fermented) from Iowa State that does not call for sugar. Making fermented pickles is, however, quite an involved process.
The recipe is down a ways on page 6.
Lots of good information in there!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Head Chef

Hoot, I have made fermented pickles, last year, 3-5 gallon buckets of them, then canned them. They aren't the same, though I'm tempted to slice some into pickle chips and repackage them in a saltier brine solution when I put them in the refrigerator.
About changing a tested recipe--I'm not sure about what to do. I'm sure we have some experts around, McNerd for example, though I haven't seen him lately.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
About changing a tested recipe--I'm not sure about what to do. I'm sure we have some experts around, McNerd for example, though I haven't seen him lately.
I reckon so. It just seemed like a small amount of sugar for a batch that large. I also wondered if it might be a misprint.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I reckon so. It just seemed like a small amount of sugar for a batch that large. I also wondered if it might be a misprint.
I agree with you Hoot, it is such a small amount. The problem is every recipe that is university extension tested has some sugar. They usually say not to change the volume of water, vinegar and salt and they don't mention sugar, which leaves me wondering too. I appreciate your thoughts on it.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Head Chef

Three days into having the pickle chips into the brine and they are a little too salty. I'm going to use 3 T salt instead of the 4 T in the 1/4 cup when I make some canned pickle chips--sometime in the next week depending on the cucumbers that are ripe in the garden.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

It's possible that small amount of sugar is needed to balance the flavor. There's a recipe for Dill Spears in the book "Put 'Em Up!" that includes 5 lbs. cucumbers, 4 cups distilled white vinegar and 2 tbsp. sugar.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's possible that small amount of sugar is needed to balance the flavor.
I agree. When you have a product like pickles that are very acidic, a small amount of sugar is added to balance the acidity, not to make the resulting pickles sweet. With the recipe Hoot linked to, I can't see where 1/4 cup of sugar would make one bit of difference in the flavor.

My grandmother added two cups of sugar to her dill pickle recipe (I don't know the yield of her recipe offhand, but it made a LOT of pickles) and yet they were still sour enough to make you pucker up like a school girl.

Tags
dill