Dill pickle chips aka hamburger dills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
With all the pickles we have here--bread and butter, fermented dills, quick pickled dills and numerous pickles with pickling spices, and let's not forget the sweet and dill relishes--I need to make some dill pickle chips.

They are the overly sour and salty ones used on hamburgers. I refuse to buy them at the store--why should I when I have cucumbers?

I haven't found a university extension recipe for dills without sugar in it and although we have no sugar restrictions--dill pickle chips aren't sweet at all.

Here's what I came up with--stored in the refrigerator and just for testing for taste.
3 cups water
1 cup vinegar
1/4 cup canning salt
2 T garlic
1 T dried dill weed
3 T chopped onion

Boil the mixture and let cool. Pour over cucumber slices. It tastes pretty good, has that back of your throat, clear your throat sourness to it--like when you grab a hamburger dill chip.

If anyone finds a university extension approved recipe for dill pickles with no sugar, please let me know. THANKS!

If you have the time and wherewithal to try fermented dills, there is a recipe on this PDF file Dill Pickles (Fermented) from Iowa State that does not call for sugar. Making fermented pickles is, however, quite an involved process.
The recipe is down a ways on page 6.
Lots of good information in there!

Hoot, I have made fermented pickles, last year, 3-5 gallon buckets of them, then canned them. They aren't the same, though I'm tempted to slice some into pickle chips and repackage them in a saltier brine solution when I put them in the refrigerator.
About changing a tested recipe--I'm not sure about what to do. I'm sure we have some experts around, McNerd for example, though I haven't seen him lately.

About changing a tested recipe--I'm not sure about what to do. I'm sure we have some experts around, McNerd for example, though I haven't seen him lately.
I reckon so. It just seemed like a small amount of sugar for a batch that large. I also wondered if it might be a misprint.

I reckon so. It just seemed like a small amount of sugar for a batch that large. I also wondered if it might be a misprint.
I agree with you Hoot, it is such a small amount. The problem is every recipe that is university extension tested has some sugar. They usually say not to change the volume of water, vinegar and salt and they don't mention sugar, which leaves me wondering too. I appreciate your thoughts on it.

Three days into having the pickle chips into the brine and they are a little too salty. I'm going to use 3 T salt instead of the 4 T in the 1/4 cup when I make some canned pickle chips--sometime in the next week depending on the cucumbers that are ripe in the garden.

It's possible that small amount of sugar is needed to balance the flavor. There's a recipe for Dill Spears in the book "Put 'Em Up!" that includes 5 lbs. cucumbers, 4 cups distilled white vinegar and 2 tbsp. sugar.

It's possible that small amount of sugar is needed to balance the flavor.
I agree. When you have a product like pickles that are very acidic, a small amount of sugar is added to balance the acidity, not to make the resulting pickles sweet. With the recipe Hoot linked to, I can't see where 1/4 cup of sugar would make one bit of difference in the flavor.

My grandmother added two cups of sugar to her dill pickle recipe (I don't know the yield of her recipe offhand, but it made a LOT of pickles) and yet they were still sour enough to make you pucker up like a school girl. ;)

It's possible that small amount of sugar is needed to balance the flavor. There's a recipe for Dill Spears in the book "Put 'Em Up!" that includes 5 lbs. cucumbers, 4 cups distilled white vinegar and 2 tbsp. sugar.

I think I'll be STUCK with putting in some sugar, no matter how little.

Here are the ingredients on the pickle jar of pickle chips that I'm trying to recreate.
Cucumbers, water, distilled vinegar, salt, high fructose corn syrup (sugar), calcium chloride, natural flavor, polysorbate 80, yellow 5.

and yet they were still sour enough to make you pucker up like a school girl. ;)

Ha ha, and that is what I'm looking for in a pickle chip.

Steve you remind me of my brothers, maybe because you spent some time in WI?

Yeah, I grew up there - about an hour south of La Crosse. :)
One of my brothers lives in Onalaska with his wife and child. It's a beautiful area.
Thanks for your help on the pickle chips.

Got Garlic, thank you too!

Yes, the added sugar is for flavoring, to cut acidic taste from the vinegar, and can be adjusted to taste without altering the safety.

Yes, the added sugar is for flavoring, to cut acidic taste from the vinegar, and can be adjusted to taste without altering the safety.

Hi McNerd, long time no see! Glad you are around for questions like this one. Thank you so much!

Well, I did my research on a university extension tested recipe and I have to share my research with you. I cannot find much for recipes of this type that will allow no sugar and it came to my attention that ALL the university extension recipes for FRESH PACK DILL PICKLES are essentially 'the same recipe' or they provide no recipe at all.

The recipe I'll be using is not a tested university extension recipe and I don't recommend anyone use anything but the tested ones. What is frustrating is that dill pickles (whole, spears, relish, chips) have all kinds of tastes but the recipe that is approved by the university extensions has the SAME vinegar/water ratio and similar amounts of salt.

It appears they all SHARED this recipe. In the land of 50 states, and billions of taste buds, it would make sense to at least test out a FEW kinds of fresh pack dill pickles for the general population, but that isn't the case. It's ridiculous. It is like all recipes for xxxxxxx item should be the same--they (extension services) aren't making this easy. I can certainly see where people would be frustrated with this and use non-approved recipes.

Here is the APPROVED recipe from Iowa State:http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM1368.pdf

18 pounds pickling cucumbers (3- to 5-inch)
2¼ cups water
1½cups canning or pickling salt
2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spice
2 gallons water
7 tablespoons dill seed (1 tablespoon per quart jar)
1½ quarts vinegar (4-6%)
21 heads fresh dill (3 heads per quart jar) OR
¼ cup sugar
5 tablespoons whole mustard seed (2 teaspoons per quart jar)

Wash cucumbers. Cut 1⁄16-inch slice off blossom end and discard; leave ¼-inch of stem attached. Place cucumbers in a large suitable container. Dissolve ¾ cup of the salt in 2 gallons water. Pour over cucumbers and let stand 12 hours. Drain. Combine vinegar, remaining ¾ cup salt (varies with 1/2 cup salt), sugar, and 2¼ cups water. Place pickling spices in a spice or cheesecloth bag and add to pickling solution. Heat to boiling. Fill jars with pickles. Add 2 teaspoons mustard seed and 3 heads fresh dill (or 1 tablespoon dill seed) to each quart. Cover with boiling pickling solution, leaving ½inch headspace. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids and process in boiling water canner for time specified in Table 1 or use low-temperature pasteurization as described on page 3.
Here are the university extension states with the same recipe (not all inclusive as I only spent a few hours on this):
Iowa State
Montana State
University of Wisconsin Winnebago County
University of Wisconsin Extension Cooperative Extension
North Carolina State
Colorado State
University of Nebraska Lincoln Extension (refers to Dept of Agriculture)
New Mexico State
Ohio State
North Dakota
University of Maine
University of Missouri
University of Wyoming
Texas A&M
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Kansas State
University of Kentucky
Pennsylvania State
West Virginia

Non-State University and Extension Services:
The National Center for Home Food Preservation-Dept. of Agriculture
Clemson Cooperative Extension
Cornell

Tested recipes that are DIFFERENT:
This Quick Dill Pickle Recipe is different Oregon: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pdf/pnw/pnw355.pdf
This recipe for Kosher Dills Oregon: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lane/sites/default/files/documents/lc352pickled_recipes.pdf
This recipe is for Fresh Packed Dill Pickles using Cider vinegar Alabama: http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/H/HE-0071/HE-0071.pdf
This is Fresh Pack Dill Pickles Washington: http://4h.wsu.edu/EM2778CD/pdf/em4921.pdf

I really have to applaud any university extension that takes time to test recipes instead of sharing essentially the same recipe as most other extension services use. Oregon, Alabama and Washington, thank you!

Got Garlic, I can see where having a book would be a welcome change! Thanks all.

Well, I did my research on a university extension tested recipe and I have to share my research with you. I cannot find much for recipes of this type that will allow no sugar and it came to my attention that ALL the university extension recipes for FRESH PACK DILL PICKLES are essentially 'the same recipe' or they provide no recipe at all.

<snip>

Got Garlic, I can see where having a book would be a welcome change! Thanks all.

Thanks for sharing your research. I imagine 150 years ago, when the university extension services were just getting started, there *was* one recipe for fresh-pack pickles, and it was carried by pioneer women! ;)

Blissful--sugar also acts as a preservative in canned goods. That may also be why sugar is included.

Only in SOME canned foods.
Sugar is the primary preservative in jams, jellies and canning fruits.
Sugar draws moisture out of ginger, citrus peels and candied fruits making them shelf stable.

If sugar were necessary in pickling recipes it would be included in 'dilly beans', 'pickled peppers' and 'pickled tomatoes'--yet it's not used.
The Kosher Dills recipe from Oregon uses no sugar.
It's my opinion that the preservative in pickles is the vinegar/salt combination. (or Oregon State University Extension is wrong)

Salt is the primary preservative in salting meats and jerky--drawing out the moisture.

I feel pretty confident that sugar is not required for pickling, though some might like what it does to the flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom