Dill pickles and Dill weed questions..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debora Cadene

Assistant Cook
Hey all. I tried to post a question similar to this the other day, but I don't think it posted, so here goes again.

I've made pickled beets, and bread and butter pickles with great success, but have never made dill pickles. I did help a long time ago once, but never paid attention to all the details.

First up.. The dill weed. Some folks say use that flower head, some say the fern stuff, but I'm lost. I have dill in the garden and some if the heads are starting to go yellowish brown. Does that mean its not usable anymore? I've looked for hours for some sort of video on someone using the plan in their pickles so I could actually SEE what they were doing vs trying to figure out what someone was writing, and actually doing what they meant. I'm a hands on, visual kind of girl.

I'm looking to make pickles that have lots of dill flavor with garlic, mabey a few spicy jars, but most of all, I want them to be wicked good.

I've seen recipies that say use the 7% vinegar and some that say use 5%. What would the difference be?? Can you put whole peppercorns in along with the garlic and dill or add habanero, or do you have to change things up to add anything but a cuke?

Any thoughts or ideas I would be lucky enough to get from those who successfully make pickles, would be so good.

thanks bunches!

You typically use the flower heads from the dill plant. They are much more strongly flavored than the fronds. I normally put a couple in each quart jar. As to whether it's too far gone or not, just give them a sniff. If they are still giving off a nice strong dill scent, they're usable.

You can certainly change up the seasonings you add. Use whole spices, including peppercorns. I would caution against too many hot peppers, unless you really like them. I like them myself, but sometimes the pickles I've made have been too spicy for family and friends, and I'll also add that they'll continue to get hotter and hotter over time.

5% vinegar is perfectly fine. Most recipes I've used call for a 50:50 water to vinegar ratio.

Last edited:
I made the mistake of using the fronds and not the heads, so I'll tell you why you shouldn't do it that way. When you open the pickles the fronds have gone to a grassy limp mess, and they have to be picked off before you get to the pickles. It tastes fine and it looks lousy. People in general also don't like the server to 'handle' the pickles before they eat them, but you really must remove the grassy limp mess.

When I've run out of dill heads, I've used just the dried dill seeds I had on hand. I also use 5% vinegar.

Last edited:
Hey all. I tried to post a question similar to this the other day, but I don't think it posted, so here goes again.

I've made pickled beets, and bread and butter pickles with great success, but have never made dill pickles. I did help a long time ago once, but never paid attention to all the details.

First up.. The dill weed. Some folks say use that flower head, some say the fern stuff, but I'm lost. I have dill in the garden and some if the heads are starting to go yellowish brown. Does that mean its not usable anymore? I've looked for hours for some sort of video on someone using the plan in their pickles so I could actually SEE what they were doing vs trying to figure out what someone was writing, and actually doing what they meant. I'm a hands on, visual kind of girl.

I'm looking to make pickles that have lots of dill flavor with garlic, mabey a few spicy jars, but most of all, I want them to be wicked good.

I've seen recipies that say use the 7% vinegar and some that say use 5%. What would the difference be?? Can you put whole peppercorns in along with the garlic and dill or add habanero, or do you have to change things up to add anything but a cuke?

Any thoughts or ideas I would be lucky enough to get from those who successfully make pickles, would be so good.

thanks bunches!
5% acidity is generally said to be the minimum when pickling veg, etc., to keep. 7% would be even better although the malt vinegar sold particularly for pickling in the UK (Sarson's) is 6% and I find it works well.

Be careful if you use white vinegar. There is the "real mcCoy" white vinegar distilled from malt or other vinegars and is fine for pickling and then there is the "artificial" white vinegar which is produced from industrial chemicals and is mostly used for cleaning. (In some countries it can't be called "vinegar". I don't know about where you are)

5% acidity is generally said to be the minimum when pickling veg, etc., to keep. 7% would be even better although the malt vinegar sold particularly for pickling in the UK (Sarson's) is 6% and I find it works well.

Be careful if you use white vinegar. There is the "real mcCoy" white vinegar distilled from malt or other vinegars and is fine for pickling and then there is the "artificial" white vinegar which is produced from industrial chemicals and is mostly used for cleaning. (In some countries it can't be called "vinegar". I don't know about where you are)

In the United States, the vinegar intended for cleaning is 6% acetic acid, so it's not harmful to eat. Distilled white vinegar intended for food use is sold in the same section of the store as other vinegars, oils and condiments, so it's pretty obvious what to buy. Both - at least the ones from Heinz - are made the same way.

Horticultural vinegar (20-30%) is a different story. I don't believe it's available in grocery stores at all (not counting big-box stores that have a gardening section).

I have the 7% pickling vinegar, but was wondering what the difference to the end results would be using 5%.
Thanks for the help regarding the Dill weed. I'm still trying to find a video with someone actually making pickles and breaking off pieces of the dill.

Also forgot to ask if there were any tried and true dill pickle recipies on here. The brine recipie I have is 2c. 7% vinegar to 8c. water, 1/2c pickling salt and 1T. Alum. Will this work?? and if not, could you tell me why?? Thanks bunches.

I have the 7% pickling vinegar, but was wondering what the difference to the end results would be using 5%.
Thanks for the help regarding the Dill weed. I'm still trying to find a video with someone actually making pickles and breaking off pieces of the dill.

The 7% vinegar will have a stronger flavor. I don't think it will make a difference in how the pickles turn out.

Just cut the heads off below the top of the stem that holds the head.

Last edited:
In my opinion true dill pickles should not be made with vinegar. Not at all.

CharlieD is talking about fermented dill pickles, cucumbers which are put in a salt brine with dill/garlic/whatever, let ferment for weeks to months, basically curing the cucumbers in a lactic acid bath, which turns them sour, or half sour (depending on the amount of salt used) and keeps them crunchy. Those, are an amazing pickle and I love them too.

Ive only made and seen commercially dill pickles using the dill fronds/ leaves until last year, when my son purchased a jar of Polish dill pickles from where he works, which had the dill flower head. I was excited, cause I never knew you could use that part of the dill, and coincidentally, my dill was in the process of going to seed at the time, so I had more than enough dill flowers to go around. Now I just use the dill in whatever stage it is in at the time Im making pickles. I do agree that the dill fronds due get kinda soggy, and stick to the pickle as you are taking it out of the jar ( kinda like how sea weed sticks to your leg when you go to the beach). I usually just take a bunch of dill, stick it at the bottom of the jar, and pack the cakes in after that. This keeps the dill at the bottom, so at least the first few pickles won't have anything stuck to it. Im usually the only one who eats the pickles at my house anyway, so I don't mind picking off the dill.

CharlieD is talking about fermented dill pickles, cucumbers which are put in a salt brine with dill/garlic/whatever, let ferment for weeks to months, basically curing the cucumbers in a lactic acid bath, which turns them sour, or half sour (depending on the amount of salt used) and keeps them crunchy. Those, are an amazing pickle and I love them too.

3 days, 3 days only.

I make my dill pickles the way my Dad did: cure them in a crock in a cool place (our basement), then pack into jars and refrigerate. I have used loose seeds, seed heads, full stems with seeds, and fronds...and seeds. Since I move the pickles from the crock to a jar, I'm able to clean off anything sticking to the pickles. I then use a mesh colander to collect everything in the brine as I pour it into the jar to cover the pickles.

My family has never canned pickles to make them shelf-stable since we prefer the crunch of a fresh pickle. If you are making them right in a jar that you are putting in the bath, I would limit myself to just seeds in one form or another. Even the crock-and-refrigerate recipe I have uses just seed heads or seeds, but I like the extra touch of fresh dill when I can get it.

In the United States, the vinegar intended for cleaning is 6% acetic acid, so it's not harmful to eat. Distilled white vinegar intended for food use is sold in the same section of the store as other vinegars, oils and condiments, so it's pretty obvious what to buy. Both - at least the ones from Heinz - are made the same way.

Horticultural vinegar (20-30%) is a different story. I don't believe it's available in grocery stores at all (not counting big-box stores that have a gardening section).
Ah, thanks for that, GG.

Thanks, Blissful. I was about to ask.

There was a little General Store in Wawa, Ontario that had a barrel of the pickles you are talking about. The BEST pickles EVER.
So can anyone tell me if the Brine I posted will work?? and what is Alum for?? I'm assuming it goes into the brine as it boils, and not into the jars.

Debora,

There are two types of pickles. They differ in the recipe ingredients and they differ in the process.
Type 1: Old fashioned fermented pickles: cold water, salt, spices, days to weeks, fermenting, eaten fresh (not canned). These are crunchier. These are stored in the brine in a crock or food grade bucket, or in the refrigerator. These can be canned but they are usually not canned as they will lose their crunch.
Type 2: Pickled cucumbers: water, vinegar, salt, spice, alum, a brine poured over the cucumbers that are packed in jars, then water bath canned for a seal on the can. Can be made in one day.
Variation on 2: Sweet pickled cucumbers, same ingredients and sugar, the process is usually similar to the type 2. Some sweet pickles are processed in a sugar water bath for days prior to canning it it's brine.

If you want the fresh crunchy kind, that is Type 1.
If you are making Type 2, the alum goes in the brine, which is poured in the jars.

Debora,

There are two types of pickles. They differ in the recipe ingredients and they differ in the process.
Type 1: Old fashioned fermented pickles: cold water, salt, spices, days to weeks, fermenting, eaten fresh (not canned). These are crunchier. These are stored in the brine in a crock or food grade bucket, or in the refrigerator. These can be canned but they are usually not canned as they will lose their crunch.

Though it is generally correct. I disagree with the statement "they are usually not canned as they will lose their crunch". My mother have been canning them for at least 30 years. They have never lost their crunch, never. The only reason she stopped, is because here in America she has two refrigerators, an unheard of luxury in Soviet Union, so she simply keeps the pickles in refrigerator. I only started pickling since I got married, last 20 + years and also keep pickles, pickled tomatoes, sauerkraut in refrigerator. But they absolutely can be canned, as the matter of fact I believe they are better canned.

Back
Top Bottom