"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Do brined meats take longer to cook?

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced when you cook (grill, bake, or broil) brined meats that it takes longer to cook them vs. regular/non-brined meats.

I recently brined some pork chops with my Caribbean style brine (been working on reproducing a recipe for almost 20 years, but I'm slow), but since I had a couple of bone-in chicken breasts that needed to be used up, I brined them in it as well.

I ate the breasts last night, and after eating the outer slices (they were huge breasts), I noticed the center of the chicken was raw. I mean bright pink raw.

I know I cooked the breasts in a grill pan for the same time I've done similarly sized, un-brined ones, so I wondered if it was the brine that caused the extreme difference?

Old 08-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't think brined meats should take longer to cook. Brining replaces existing fluids with flavored ones. It doesn't add moisture.

Could the breasts have been partially frozen?

Old 08-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Andy. I doubt they were frozen as they weren't to begin with, plus they were in the brine in the refrigerator overnight.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Thanks, Andy. I doubt they were frozen as they weren't to begin with, plus they were in the brine in the refrigerator overnight.
OK, BT. Then I have no explanation other than the obvious.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #5
Head Chef

Herein lies the lesson touting a meat thermometer.

Bucky, were they really raw or just the colour of raw. I can see where brining might change the colour.

But I have brined both chicken and chops and the cooking times remained the same. Perhaps yours were just even bigger/thicker than you originally thought?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The pink color is myoglobin, a bone marrow protein, leaching from the thinner bones of young chickens. It doesn't mean it was raw. Use a meat thermometer to make sure it's fully cooked and if it's still a little pink, that's okay.

http://www.epicurious.com/expert-adv...hicken-article
Old 08-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Andy, dragn, and GG.

I know what you mean, dragn. But this was really raw, just in a spot in the deepest center. Like crunchy raw.

It was still good, though. I was so hungry that I took a chance and ate some raw bits. No ill effects today,.

Yes, a meat thermometer is a better idea, but I'm lazy.

The only thing that I can assume is that I didn't cook it long enough for how big they were.

Again, thanks.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:14 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been puzzled by this since you first posted Bucky, and thought I'd wait to chime in. I'm a big believer in brining both chicken and pork and I can't believe brining has anything to do with with cooking times, as it's not been my experience, but that's just my 2 cents.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #9
Head Chef

Oven trmperature

Something I've suspected but never bothered to confirm. I'm not sure all ovens are consistent in their internal temperatures. It seems at times that something I've done the same way forever occasionally yields different results.

I'd love to have an oven with an internal monitoring outside reading thermometer. Perhaps with a probe attachment.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
Master Chef

My brined Thanksgiving turkey cooks faster than it should ....

Other than that I haven't noticed a difference. But I cook to temp not time

Tags
brine, cook, meat