Do I have to refrigerate honey after open??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaicooking

Senior Cook
I just open a botton of honey, and I don't know do I have to keep it in refrigerator. I think it's ok to keep it in just cool place. What do you think??

Honey is the only food that I know of that does not go bad. It can actually be used as a wound dressing as it hampers bacterial growth.

It can crystalize but not go bad.

I have a large jar of honey in my cabinet that I bought two years ago and it's still perfect. I saw an archiology TV show recently that had the scientists open a lamb skin shamy/wax sealed vial of honey that was 2,500 years old and it was still good (they tasted it on camera) and some scientists believe that honey aside from texture (crystalization) and minor change in flavor, it never goes bad.

Last edited:
if your honey does crystalize heat it to melt the crystals and it will probably never crystalize again.

I keep honey in my cabinet and it last a long time. But I have had it turn dark on me. I didn't know if it was still good or not! My moto is "When in doubt, throw it out"!

I keep honey in my cabinet and it last a long time. But I have had it turn dark on me. I didn't know if it was still good or not! My moto is "When in doubt, throw it out"!
Very good policy in general. Honey is the only food there will never be any doubt about. It will never go bad.

The only advantage that I have seen in refrigerating honey is to make it easier to spread without dripping (if it is liquid honey). The more solid stuff will definitely not benefit from this.

Back
Top Bottom