Don't Throw Away That Turkey Carcass!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neeney

Senior Cook
Because it makes the most wonderful turkey stock! I do this everytime we have a turkey. Can up your turkey stock in pint & quart jars and have stock readily available. Stock in the grocery store is so expensive these days. Here's a simple stock recipe:

Put your turkey carcass in a pot large enough to cover it with water by about 3 inches.

Wash and cut up several carrots to 2 inches chunks (no need to peel).

Wash and cut up celery rods to 3 inch chunks (also use the leaves & root).

Wash and cut up 3 large onions...cut each onion into quarters (no need to peel).

Wash and cut up 2 heads of garlic (no need to peel and keep whole). Yes, this is heads of garlic, not the individual cloves.

Toss in the veggies and add 1 Tbsp Salt and 1 Tsp Pepper.

Bring it to a boil and then let simmer for 10 to 12 hours.

Let cool and skim the fat off the top (I usually put my pot in the garage overnight as it's too big for my fridge).

Remove all the bones and then strain and discard everything but the broth.

Pressure can in quart or pint jars 25 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure.

I am a turkey carcass heretic, of sorts. I place the tc in my pressure cooker with a small amount of water, and cook it for an hour or so. When it comes out, the bones are soft. I then puree the tc, and it becomes the base for...dog biscuits! Some might think it a waste of a good turkey carcass, but my red heeler, Sadie, would beg to differ.

Not only do I use my own turkey and chicken carcass and ALL the bones because I debone the bird before serving it at the table, but I also have friends who save me their carcasses. I make a ton of stock and nothing is better than stock from roasted bones.
I freeze serving size portions because when I want soup, I want it NOW, but I also freeze 4 and 6 cup containers for recipes calling for chicken broth or stock. I don't put anything in the pot except onions because I don't want the stock fighting with the flavors of whatever soup I'm making.
If a recipe calls for water to make the soup, I use turkey stock. It makes a world of difference.

I also collect all my beef bones anytime I have them and add them to a freezer bag I have in the freezer with previous beef bones. When I want to make beef stock, I take the bones out and do the same for making beef broth.

We had a 4 rib prime rib roast on Christmas Day and guess what I'm doing with those bones! Can't wait...

If you wanna make a lot of stocks & soups, have your neighbors save you their bones & carcass's as well...very true!!!

I make turkey stock and can that up. I also then use the stock to make the turkey soup.

But I use the turkey stock for other things as well. Many orzo recipes call for chicken stock, so I substitute my turkey stock for it.

It's amazing how rich the turkey soup is when using the turkey stock. All the flavorings that went into the stock, then turn around and make soup...with celery, carrots, onions, etc. Some orzo, noodles or rice...YUM!

Back
Top Bottom