"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 11-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
Master Chef

Follow the instructions found at the National Center for Home Food Preservation and you will be fine. You can also trust the instructions and recipes in the Ball Blue Book of Preserving and Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I also have a fear of canning.I would love to have someone who does it all the time to teach me.From what I know right now tomatoes are the easiest to can because of their acidity.
Fruit jams and preserves are a safe bet due to their high sugar content.

-Stooxie

Old 11-17-2007, 06:59 AM   #13
Head Chef

I tried that one year and if you going to do it start early. What a headache trying to do that along with all the other festivities.

I like to do the gifts in a jar. Like the soup mixtures, coco mixture to put in with the cookies, or cookies mix in a jar.

you can find alot of different recipes for them by type gift in a jar in google.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I agree with all of the comments above, however, in addition to all of that, it is best to be prepared. Gather all of your canning items, jars etc. and all of your recipe ingredients, get everything ready for your finished product BEFORE you start cooking. This way, you don't have to take time to get something you forgot.

I hadn't canned in 30+ years, we moved to AZ and I couldn't get the salsa verde that I used to buy in CA, so I made my own. I froze it first, and that was fine, but I don't have a large separate freezer so I decided to can it. I is better than the store bought, I can give it as gifts or just have the pleasure of walking into my pantry and taking a jar off of the shelf. I also can my spagetti sauce and chicken tortilla soup, it is really nice to have it so available. I just make extra when I make a batch and can the extra. The other thing is to date your items. That way you don't have to guess, but most of us will never let that much time pass before we use the product.

Take the plunge and just have fun!!! I teach Healthy Cooking and that is the one thing I always stress, it should be fun, play with yiur food (experiment), put unusual ingredients together, savory with sweet or vice versa. It is fun and I am sure once you do it, you will love it. ENJOY!!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 11:48 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Easiest to Can?

Tomatoes are simple to can, but the acidity depends on where they have been grown. Most California-grown tomatoes require that you add acid for safety.

The easiest thing I've ever canned is wine jelly--not even any fruit to wash & gift recipients love it. My mother used to skip the biscuits & just eat it w/a spoon right out of the jar.

Sailor
Old 01-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Canning is not hard, just time consuming. I think its very rewarding as well! I mostly do tomatoes and green beans, as that is what my garden produces the most of. I also use a pressure canner, not hot water bath just to be safe. The neat thing is, once you get a few pints of tomatoes and get the hang of it, you can experiment. Put a TBS or two of chili powder in each can in one batch. Make salsa out of another batch (Mrs. Wages has a mix that is great!!) Then you can add them when making chili or soup in the winter time.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

I felt the same way the first time I canned. That was in 1990 now we can everything we can. We look forward to it every year. I agree about getting a "Ball Blue Book" on canning. Also following instructions to the T. You will be fine.. And oh the rewards well they just speak for themselves..Good Luck
Old 02-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
My Ball Blue Book has been used so much it's falling apart. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:47 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I bought the Ball book at least 5 years ago and haven't tried canning YET! I always mean to, just afraid I guess to screw up.
Once I get the hang of it, can you can any homemade spaghetti sauce or does it have to have / not have certain things in it? I LOVE my spaghetti sauce (toots own horn).
I wouldn't be canning a meat sauce.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #20
Head Chef

To be safe, you would have to have a nutritionist evaluate your sauce. Extension can do that for you. Type your county name, your state, and extension into google, and you will get your local office.

There probably will be no charge for this service--we don't charge anyone for it in this office, anyhow.

If you have trouble, pm me your recipe, and I will send it off to our nutritionist.