Eggs in water-glass?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
I found this in an "Old Australian Recipe's" book but I have absolutely no idea what "water-glass" is
"
Eggs in water-glass-One quart of water-glass, 10 quarts of cold boiled water. Mix well. Put the eggs (which must be perfectly fresh) into a clean kerosene tin, and cover them with the water-glass mixture. As the eggs are laid each day, put them into the tin, and add more the liquor. When nearly full, cover with a square piece of board, which must be small enough to fit inside the tin, to keep the eggs under the water-glass mixture. It is a good plan to keep 2 kerosene tins in the case in which they are sold, as the wood prevents the changes of temperatures affecting the eggs so much. When both are full, cover and keep in a cool place. Eggs preserved in this way are quite fresh at the end of 12 months, but they must be newly laid if the results are to be satisfactory.
=========
How about that :)

Yup. It was a way to keep eggs fresh long before refrigeration by removing the air and providing a sort of controlled temperature environment. Quite inventive really.

For what it's worth, water glass is hydrated sodium silicate. I don;t know how it works with eggs.

You can also preserve eggs for quite a while using vaseline. Just rub it on the eggs and place in a cool dark place. Rotate every so often. To check and see if the egg is good. Put the egg in a glass of water. If it sinks, it's good.

And since you cannot remove the Vaseline and no way to open an egg without getting Vaseline in it.....yuck.....you would be just as well off using regular oil since the purpose of the Vaseline or oil is to close the pores in the egg.

<<<Eggs preserved in this way are quite fresh at the end of 12 months, but they must be newly laid if the results are to be satisfactory.>>>

That's the part that has got me tricked, one would need to have a lot of chooks or some un-friendly neighbours ---- just kidding :)

Just think, you could build up 12 months supply of eggs then bop the chooks off and have roast chicken :rolleyes::LOL:

And since you cannot remove the Vaseline and no way to open an egg without getting Vaseline in it.....yuck.....you would be just as well off using regular oil since the purpose of the Vaseline or oil is to close the pores in the egg.

All you do is wipe the vaseline on. You don't glob it. It's only function is to fill the holes. you can also use mineral oil but it doesn't last as long.
You just wipe the outside with a paper towel and crack. The amount of vaseline you would get is so tiny it doesn't matter. A lot of cruising sailors store their eggs this way.

All that seems silly to me. I never have eggs that long. My Grandma used to do all kinds of funny things, but she must not have ever heard of those ones! I think I will just stick to the old fridge! But I would like to see what an egg looks like after a year!

Yup, people used to do all kinds of funny things before there were refrigerators or freezers or even electricity. Even having block ice available was a luxury for some.

If we end up having solar flares like being predicted by NASA within the next few years, we may find ourselves reliving those days.

Yup, people used to do all kinds of funny things before there were refrigerators or freezers or even electricity. Even having block ice available was a luxury for some.

If we end up having solar flares like being predicted by NASA within the next few years, we may find ourselves reliving those days.

Our family had an icebox when I was a kid and it was my job to fetch a block of ice from the butchers each morning.

If you have a stubborn sore that won't heal, crack the egg and wipe the inside lining of the shell on the wound. I was told this from a retired doctor the other week that our nurses did this with much success during WW2

Back
Top Bottom