"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Eggs in water-glass?????

I found this in an "Old Australian Recipe's" book but I have absolutely no idea what "water-glass" is
"
Eggs in water-glass-One quart of water-glass, 10 quarts of cold boiled water. Mix well. Put the eggs (which must be perfectly fresh) into a clean kerosene tin, and cover them with the water-glass mixture. As the eggs are laid each day, put them into the tin, and add more the liquor. When nearly full, cover with a square piece of board, which must be small enough to fit inside the tin, to keep the eggs under the water-glass mixture. It is a good plan to keep 2 kerosene tins in the case in which they are sold, as the wood prevents the changes of temperatures affecting the eggs so much. When both are full, cover and keep in a cool place. Eggs preserved in this way are quite fresh at the end of 12 months, but they must be newly laid if the results are to be satisfactory.
=========
How about that

Old 06-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
Head Chef

Yup. It was a way to keep eggs fresh long before refrigeration by removing the air and providing a sort of controlled temperature environment. Quite inventive really.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Yup. It was a way to keep eggs fresh long before refrigeration by removing the air and providing a sort of controlled temperature environment. Quite inventive really.
Thanks mate, I actually found this in Yahoo answers What are the various domestic uses of Sodium Silicate? - Yahoo!7 Answers

Oooooooooo! don't know about this, anybody game??
Old 06-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

For what it's worth, water glass is hydrated sodium silicate. I don;t know how it works with eggs.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by attie View Post
Oooooooooo! don't know about this, anybody game??
Nope. I have no desire to step back in time when I can put my eggs in the refrigerator or freeze them.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
Head Chef

You can also preserve eggs for quite a while using vaseline. Just rub it on the eggs and place in a cool dark place. Rotate every so often. To check and see if the egg is good. Put the egg in a glass of water. If it sinks, it's good.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
Head Chef

And since you cannot remove the Vaseline and no way to open an egg without getting Vaseline in it.....yuck.....you would be just as well off using regular oil since the purpose of the Vaseline or oil is to close the pores in the egg.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Sous Chef

<<<Eggs preserved in this way are quite fresh at the end of 12 months, but they must be newly laid if the results are to be satisfactory.>>>

That's the part that has got me tricked, one would need to have a lot of chooks or some un-friendly neighbours ---- just kidding

Just think, you could build up 12 months supply of eggs then bop the chooks off and have roast chicken
Old 06-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
And since you cannot remove the Vaseline and no way to open an egg without getting Vaseline in it.....yuck.....you would be just as well off using regular oil since the purpose of the Vaseline or oil is to close the pores in the egg.
All you do is wipe the vaseline on. You don't glob it. It's only function is to fill the holes. you can also use mineral oil but it doesn't last as long.
You just wipe the outside with a paper towel and crack. The amount of vaseline you would get is so tiny it doesn't matter. A lot of cruising sailors store their eggs this way.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

All that seems silly to me. I never have eggs that long. My Grandma used to do all kinds of funny things, but she must not have ever heard of those ones! I think I will just stick to the old fridge! But I would like to see what an egg looks like after a year!