Electric pressure cooker as canner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandabear51

Assistant Cook
I have an electric programmable pressure cooker. Can it be used to can?
I seen the one on TV and was hoping I could use mine instead of buying another one for canning.
It is a 8 quart pressure canner.
I was told that maybe I could use small jars.

Does anyone know if an 8 quart electric programmable pressure cooker can be used as a canner?
I hate to buy a electric pressure canner too.

Some can some can't. If the manual doesn't mention canning then the bet is it can't. (or shouldn't)

I have an electric programmable pressure cooker. Can it be used to can?
I seen the one on TV and was hoping I could use mine instead of buying another one for canning.
It is a 8 quart pressure canner.
I was told that maybe I could use small jars.

You say you have a pressure cooker and canner??

If it really is a pressure cooker, it's use is for cooking. Pressure canners are used for pressure canning foods.

Please do more research. Have you ever canned before?

A pressure cooker needs to be able to reach 5, 10 and 15 pounds of pressure, depending on what you are canning and your elevation.

It also must be able to hold at least 3 quart jars of food. This requirement has to do with timing of recipes. Tested recipes count the time it takes to heat the food in the canner and bring the pressure up. Smaller jars, less time, recipe may not work safely.

I have read that one shouldn't use a pressure cooker that isn't specifically also a pressure canner for canning. I'm curious about this. Wouldn't it be okay if it can reach and maintain the pressure specified in the recipe and hold the size of jars specified in that recipe? Is there something more one would need to take into consideration?

Back
Top Bottom