Excess pumpkin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniman

Executive Chef
I picked a huge pumpkin from my allotment the other day - way too big for me to use all the flesh in one sitting. What is a good way to preserve what I don't use when I cut it open. I am thinking of freezing it.:chef:

I've baked pumpkin, mashed it and frozen it. The texture is a little different and it wasn't in my freezer for very long (a few weeks maybe) but it was great in soup! Hope you find a way to preserve yours.

I cook (bake) it, then portion it for pie and freeze it. Pie all winter... But I have to say the best pumpkin pie is made from acorn or butternut squash.

G.

I would puree the bulk of the remainder down, keeping it very simple and not really seasoned, that way you can use it in savoury and sweet dishes when it is defrosted eg, pumpkin scones, pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup (with or without sweet potato), gnocchi, pasta, bread, or even just puree!

I would also consider getting a vacuum sealer if your allotment is producing such healthy veges, that way you could par-steam or blanch chunks of pumpkin and vacu-seal and freeze.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom