"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
Okay, Uncle Bob: how do you get rid of the astringency of the skin of the Wild Plum? In the past I could never accomplish this.
What is wild plum?

Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #22
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
My absolute favorite to date is Apple Pie Jam.
Recipe please?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
Okay, Uncle Bob: how do you get rid of the astringency of the skin of the Wild Plum? In the past I could never accomplish this.
Why would you want to?? That's what makes it good...the tartness....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #24
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Thank you, they are awesome. If you are up for it try it, I'll post recipe if you want.

I would love the recipe. I've been trying my hand at canning this summer! Thanks!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
What is wild plum?
The Wild Plum, aka Prunus Americana, is a small (3/4" - 1") round fruit growing on a bush in wild places everywhere in North America. Some people, mostly rural, plant this bush on their property as a hedge and then collect the fruit in the fall. Also it is used as a pollinator for cultivated plums.

The round fruit is anywhere from purple to red and the flesh is yellow. When really ripe, you can't stop eating them, they're so good. There's something in the skin that puckers your mouth just too much, tho, when cooked into jam; it's not a simple straightforward sourness. I recall hearing years ago that you are supposed to get rid of that taste and I agree. There is supposedly a way to de-nature it.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
What's "quince"?

winewaves

Doing Business

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Archives

More...

Blog powered by TypePad
Member since 02/2005

« Winewaves Best of 2006 | Main | Vinum Cellars CNW Clarksburg Chenin Blanc 2005 »
January 08, 2007

Quince Upon A Time

At one time or another we come across tasting notes which reference the quince. Usually this fruit comes up in reference to a white wine, typically a Sauvignon Blanc, a Fumé Blanc (Sauvignon Blanc with some time in the barrel), a Chenin Blanc or possibly even a chardonnay.

This fruit is better known in the U.K. where it is used to make jams that show up for afternoon tea. But they are becoming more popular in the states as a sign of good taste. There is even an oft reviewed restaurant in San Francisco by the same name. The quince fruit grows on small deciduous trees native to warm Asian climates. Most are really too hard and bitterly tannic to eat raw, but when baked or stewed for a long time they usually turn a blush of red and become delicious.

The aroma of a raw quince, even a whole one, is very pleasant, and thus the term is useful in describing a nice attribute of some white wines. It is somewhat difficult to describe because it is unique. A quince is a quince, in other words. But you could say the assertive aroma is somewhat like an under-ripe pear or hard woody apple, with hints of woodsy spice & cold blossoms.

04:52 PM in Technical Reference: Aromas, Technical Reference: Flavors, Wine Tech Talk | Permalink

Comments

I just made some quince jelly tonight. It smelt like a over ripen pineapple to me but has the texture of a pear. Super tart but super sweet when turned into jelly. So yummy!

Posted by: Surviving and thriving on pennies | October 22, 2009 at 09:10 PM

Just wanted to say that I read your blog quite frequently and I'm always amazed at some of the stuff people post here. But keep up the good work, it's always interesting.
See ya,

Posted by: Robert Shumake | January 18, 2010 at 02:47 PM

had my first quince today. adios pears.

Posted by: Quincy | March 02, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Home Buy Preserves

View Full-Size Image

Quince

The Queen of all winter fruits. Celebrated as a Christmas fruit in some countries. All natural, No pectin or preservatives 18.9 oz (536g).
Best consumed with smoked cheeses. Harvest Song's suggestion: Bouc Emissaire cheese.

Price: $10.00

Old 07-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae
The round fruit is anywhere from purple to red and the flesh is yellow. When really ripe, you can't stop eating them, they're so good. There's something in the skin that puckers your mouth just too much, tho, when cooked into jam; it's not a simple straightforward sourness. I recall hearing years ago that you are supposed to get rid of that taste and I agree. There is supposedly a way to de-nature it.
Around here no one makes jam out of wild plums...only jelly. The skin/pit/etc is tossed...The juice mixed with sugar etc makes a beautiful clear, red, jelly...That is sweet yet with some tartness..Not bland like say... apple jelly.....The next best is Crab Apple!! Yum!!!.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #29
Master Chef

Ok I think I figure out what wild plum and quince are. Yes both of those make awesome jams, I've never been able to purchase them here. I actually have arecip for the hot sauce made of thouse wild plums, that is to die for with a stake.

Kathleen I will post recipe a little bit latter.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Sounds as if quince is something one would not want to eat raw, out of one's hand, but only in its processed form. Anybody remember "they dined on mince and slices of quince, which they ate with a runcible spoon'?

I think you are correct, Uncle Bob, about having to throw the skins of the Wild Plum away. Maybe that is what I was thinking of. I do recall eating plum jam at home, though, as a kid. Not jelly.

We have a couple of crabapple trees and they do make fabulous jelly. The colour is sensational. Jewel-like. I feel guilty eating it...