Favorite jam/jelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
unka bob, would you call damson plums a type of the wild plums you were talking about? i've had those, both fresh and in white lightning, and both were delicious...

I've had Damson plum preserves and they are very good stuff. They are the little dark purple plums we used to call prune plums.

Uncle Bob, I can't say why you don't see a lot of wild plum thickets, but if there's none along the fences or roads in straight lines, it is because nobody's planting them. It's too bad. Also, the "wild plum" seedlings you buy at the nursery now are, I'm told, not necessarily 100% wild. They have some cultivated-plum genes from having been planted in yards as pollinators. If you want real wild plums, you have to go deep into some uncivilized place.

Now, Bob, if you went out on your bike and came back with a 5-gallon bucket o' plums, what did you do with the bike?:LOL: Surely you aren't telling us you somehow mounted 40 lb. of plums in a giant bucket on your bicycle.:ohmy:

They were never in straight lines....they were not planted by the local ladies club (or anyone) to create an Avenue Of Wild Plums:LOL:..This was/is "uncivilized" rural Mississippi you understand.....They were "Wild" plums...appearing in grown up fence lines. Along the edges of woods, in thickets etc. There was no method to the madness of where they appeared...Many fruit fell to the ground, rotted, and some of the seed would sprout...creating thickets. Ya think? Birds would devour them and while perched on a string of barbed wire (fence) next to a 400 acre cotton field the seed were dropped there..Ya think maybe? I really dunno...Over the years they have disappeared in great numbers...Perhaps the county bulldozing for widening roads etc. Maybe fence rows cleaned off by farmers to facilitate fence repair/replacement...Less bees, less pollination, diseases, old age, agricultural encroachment I dunno. Probably a combination off all of the above, and more....

The old Schwinn bicycle had a basket on it....A 5 gallon bucket full of anything, a 50 lb sack of Bull Dog Soda, or the little red headed girl up the road was never "a hill ..for a climber" ;)

Well, Bob, I will stand corrected.

Your uncivilized rural Mississippi is nothing compared to where I grew up. I still wonder how I ever found my way out of the bush, lived in a big city for 20 years, then landed up surrounded by forest again. Ah, well.

You must be quite a specimen, I must say, to be able to balance your bicycle with such heavy loads!

Re your signature: There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

I would add: You don't want to be so open-minded that your brains fall out.

Hi Kathleen:
It's only one jelly with those three things in it. I serve it with chicken, with cream cheese....over warmed brie or camambear(sp)...with a fig cream cheese.....guess one could find quite a few different ways of using it.

Whenever I visit one of the Rocky Mountain states, I buy a couple jars of huckleberry jam. Good stuff, but I have no idea what they are; the only 'huckleberry' I know is a dog.

oh, then i really don't want to know what their huckleberries are.

they have funny ideas about oysters out there as well... :mellow:

Whenever I visit one of the Rocky Mountain states, I buy a couple jars of huckleberry jam. Good stuff, but I have no idea what they are; the only 'huckleberry' I know is a dog.

Huckleberries look like small blueberries. Much sweeter and they are fantastic. Never had any until I moved to Montana, now I wait every year for the harvest.

oh, then i really don't want to know what their huckleberries are.

they have funny ideas about oysters out there as well... :mellow:

Only some of us have funny ideas about oysters:ROFLMAO:...and I'm not one of them. But, if you get the chance at some huckleberries...TAKE it!

Huckleberries

Huckleberries look and taste a lot like blueberries. My grandmother had them growing all over her property and we would pick them by the buckets. She used them just like blueberries. These were wild and my memory is that they were smaller than the typical blueberry. Also they seemed to have larger seeds and sometimes grew in more shaded areas. I remember the bushes were smallish in side and rather shrubby. We would find them in clusters of shrubs all over the place.

~Kathleen

Uh, maybe the huckleberry jam you buy was made in the western Washington area. When I was a kid, we would find red huckleberries in the woods near our house. These were OK to eat but really, really small. However, in the mountains you could find dark blue or purple huckleberries that grew wild. Lots of people made jam with these huckleberries and would go out of their way to find and pick them. The jam must have been good to go to all that effort. I used the huckleberries in buttermilk pancakes or muffins, and the results were exceptional.

Oh, and in western Washington there are real oysters.

Back in the "good old days", my mom made wicked-good jelly & jam from both her own home-grown Concord grapes, & also from the wild Beach Plums that grew all over the Long Island waterfront back then. Fabulous stuff!

These days my favorites are farmers market Jalapeno Pepper jelly & Stonewall Kitchen's "Sour Cherry" preserves. Really tangy. But of course, when I have a craving for a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, it's good old Welch's grape jelly all the way! :)

Back
Top Bottom