"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
Head Chef

Flowers in the Jelly?

I've been looking over a recipe from Better Homes & G for Herb Jelly. They, of course, strain the liquid of the herbs once they have done the initial boiling. They then proceed in the normal way to canning the jelly.

I'm wondering if I can put a flower or leaf, depicting the contents, in the jar before the water bath? I was thinking of Mint Jelly or maybe trying to make some Sage Jelly, except what would I use a sweet Sage Jelly with? Chicken, pork, ravioli, cheese? What about Rosemary Jelly perhaps mixed with Mint for Lamb? Any suggestions?

Argh... just went away for about 40 min. to come back and see I had never press 'submit' - grrrr, dotty old dragn.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I have absolutely no idea whether this would be a problem or not, but the first thing I thought of was the botulism poisoning that people got from garlic packed in oil and canned several years back. I'm assuming you wouldn't want to sterilize the leaves or flowers, and they could potentially be contaminated and then would go into an anaerobic environment. You might want to do some research on including fresh herbs/flowers in jelly.

I'd also be worried about the fresh herbs/flowers turning a funky color or degrading over time.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

My Macedonian neighbors from my old house used to pick the leaves and flowers of the scented geraniums that I grew in pots in my backyard every year and put them in a jelly.

For the life of me I couldn't understand why as the geraniums were citronella scented, and the jelly she made with them tasted like a citrus cleaning solution, but they loved them. And never got sick as far as I know.

But, blech!
Old 08-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
Head Chef

very good points and the very reasons I asked. But I was hoping to go along the lines of when you are actually adding the flowers/leaves you are adding them to the very hot jelly coming off the stove - being jarred and into the bath for *** minutes.

I realize buds and thick stems would not suit but flowers like borage? violets? hmmm, of course, canning is usually done in late summer and violets are from the spring. LOL guess I'd better check my calendar! I used to put borage flowers in ice cubes all the time - was always a big hit.

the small leaves of mint, not the heavier more mature ones. Also thinking now that rosemary might not be a good candidate.

thank you medtran - I will research some more and see what I can find out. May not even be this year although I really want to take advantage of the mint before it devours the country side.

LOL, bucky - they probably grew up with that and could assimilate any 'extra's' the jelly produced. cleaning solution, oh boy...
Old 08-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I think this is risky because botulism thrives in an anaerobic, low-acid environment, which is what jelly is. Also, when herbs flower, the leaves become bitter, so making a jelly with herbs that have flowered may not result in a good-tasting product. And I don't think the nice look of most flowers or herbs will survive the water-bath process.

Another way to go is to use the Jam Labelizer website, where you can make and print customized labels based on their templates. A few allow you to upload images to use on the label. Since I make a lot of homemade goods for gifts, I spent the $5US for complete access; otherwise, some designs are free and some are not.

https://www.jamlabelizer.com
Old 08-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The jelly my neighbors made wasn't bitter by any stretch (just disgusting - like citrus scented toilet bowl cleaner), and they would harvest later in the year when the plants were bolting
Old 08-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
The jelly my neighbors made wasn't bitter by any stretch (just disgusting - like citrus scented toilet bowl cleaner), and they would harvest later in the year when the plants were bolting
Geraniums are not herbs. They're flowers.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Do the leaves of flowers act differently than most other plants, such as herbs?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I think this is risky because botulism thrives in an anaerobic, low-acid environment, which is what jelly is.
While this is true, for the most part, people sometimes tend to forget that sugar (along with salt) also has antibacterial properties. It's not that bacteria don't "like" sugar or salt. It's that these substances pull moisture out of cells and causes them to dehydrate through plasmolysis, making it extremely difficult for microorganisms to survive, let alone thrive.

According to Harvard Medical School...
"Some foods, such as jams and jellies, do not require a pressure cooker because their high sugar level makes it difficult for Clostridium botulinum bacteria to grow."

I remember my grandmother sealing jelly jars with nothing more than paraffin wax, and no water bath processing. Her jelly was shelf stable for years.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Do the leaves of flowers act differently than most other plants, such as herbs?
Have you ever tried eating the leaves of flowers? Do you see them in recipes?