Freeze fried chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ps8

Senior Cook
Lots of freezing questions today, it seems. I like my Southern Fried Chicken, but don't enjoy the mess I make when frying it. So, what I'd like to do is fry more than I need and freeze the extra. Will it taste all right after freezing, thawing out and reheating? Or will it be tough and dried out? I know you can buy it already cooked in the freezer section of the grocery store, but they have ways of flash freezing and stuff that I don't have access to (including preservaitves).

Oh, and still on freezing...will fresh bell peppers freeze well?

This is a very interesting question! I’ve never frozen fried chicken.....it never lasts long enough around my house to make it to the freezer!

But I see what you’re saying about the mess. If you fried 3-4 times more than usual, you could freeze the rest for easy and mess-less fried chicken later on. Well, I haven’t done it, but I am very interested to see what others have to say on this.

Left over fried chicken?? Whats that??? :LOL:

Oviously you can do it. However I can't imagine liking the results!
Maybe frying it outside is something to look into.

Enjoy!!!!!!!

Uncle Bob said:
Left over fried chicken?? Whats that??? :LOL:

Oviously you can do it. However I can't imagine liking the results!
Maybe frying it outside is something to look into.

Enjoy!!!!!!!

I’m with you Uncle Bob! “Left over” and “fried chicken” aren’t terms that go together around here.

An outdoor fryer is a great way to reduce the indoor mess. You have to deal with storing the oil and all that outside, but still, you can fry tons at once on those outdoor cookers. I bought 20 bone-in breasts from a butcher once and fried them all outside. Yummy!

By the way……in the food word games here at DC……..how do you know all of those Italian words? I’ve seen you use Italian words 2 or 3 times easily…..and I always have to look them up! :LOL:

I have to agree with keltin and Uncle Bob, what's leftover fried chicken?:LOL: I've never frozen fried chicken and have a feeling it would not freeze very well. I usually just suck it up, make the mess, enjoy the chicken and clean up after.

As for your pepper question, I freeze peppers all the time...green, red, yellow, orange. Usually clean them well, cut them into quarters and put into a freezer-weight zipper-lock bag. When I need some, I take what I want out of the freezer and let thaw slightly if I want to cut them up. They're a bit more watery than fresh, but I've successfully used them in any recipe that calls for them being cooked. Don't recall using them in dishes that need fresh peppers, though.

keltin said:
By the way……in the food word games here at DC……..how do you know all of those Italian words? I’ve seen you use Italian words 2 or 3 times easily…..and I always have to look them up! :LOL:

It' easy! I have "connections" in New Orleans, Chicago, etc :ermm:

Enjoy & Have Fun!

Uncle Bob said:
It' easy! I have "connections" in New Orleans, Chicago, etc :ermm:

Enjoy & Have Fun!

Ahhhhhh, a made man then! I could tell by the Avatar alone that we were dealing with a man of true stature! :)

Oh, and another by the way if you don't mind, I saw some pics up on DC that said "Uncle Bob's Kitchen" and it was the most incredible outdoor rig I've seen in a long time! Plenty of well seasoned cast iron, an adjustable rack and hanger, fire pit, propane cooker, huge stack of seasoned wood, the works. Is that yours?!?!? :w00t2:

kelton said:
Oh, and another by the way if you don't mind, I saw some pics up on DC that said "Uncle Bob's Kitchen" and it was the most incredible outdoor rig I've seen in a long time! Plenty of well seasoned cast iron, an adjustable rack and hanger, fire pit, propane cooker, huge stack of seasoned wood, the works. Is that yours?!?!?

Yep guilty as charged! It's ALL mine! With only a portion of the cast iron collection. Did ya miss the rotisserie??

Fun!

Uncle Bob said:
Yep guilty as charged! It's ALL mine! With only a portion of the cast iron collection. Did ya miss the rotisserie??

Fun!

A rotisserie too!?!

Oh wow! You are THE MAN! :clap:

I bow to your outdoor greatness. So impressive!

I have three different grills (one a smoker) and thought I knew something! :huh: Now, after being here at DC, I’m venturing into dutch ovens (about to buy a 12" outdoor one for charcoal cooking). Much to learn!
Someday…..yes, maybe someday…….I’ll get there. :chef:

Yes, you can freeze fried chicken. Just be sure to reheat it in a 375F to 400F oven, NOT a microwave!

Oh, and you might want to put something absorbent under it, because it will leach the grease it was originally cooked in.

Freezing fried chicken or refrigerating it for the next day or so? Either way, you can. As in the previous posts, any chicken I make gets inhaled quickly, so I've never done it at my house. In the restaurants where I work, we prepare any chicken for the next day, put it in metal inserts, let it cool off then toss it in a walk-in refrigerator.

I've been wondering about freezing it though. I suppose you can since pre-cooked chicken drumsticks can be bought in stores frozen, so I guess you can. To defrost it, I'd probably run it in a bath of hot water or defrost it in a microwave then bake it or BBQ it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom