Freezer Pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Trying to stay ahead of the cucumbers..two types of freezer pickles..very basic recipe, which I feel is the best..then, I used the same recipe but added turmeric, coriander, cumin, ginger, garlic, and chopped birds eye chilies for an Indian inspired one..tastes good and carries zing, for sure..this is after 3 days in the fridge..I've just divided them into separate containers and off to the freezer they go..

Attachments

• 39148072_2285291924820339_5400618588115566592_n.jpg
    39148072_2285291924820339_5400618588115566592_n.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Never heard of freezer pickles, and i have a hell of a lot of cukes to spare. Enlighten me !!
Any specific recipes ? and whats the consistency after being in the freezer ?

They stay fairly crispy. Sweet. You. Mix them and let them marinate for three days, then freeze in containers or zip lock bags. Good in your freezer for
Months. Quick and easy which is why I do them. I’ll post the recipe when I get home. Or you can google freezer pickles. Basically it is cukes, onions, sweet pepper, sugar, salt, celery seed.

Last edited:
They stay fairly crispy. Sweet. You. Mix them and let them marinate for three days, then freeze in containers or zip lock bags. Quick and easy which is why I do them. I’ll post the recipe when I get home.

Great, thanks .
I have such an over abundance this year , even the people im giving them to dont want anymore.

Always looking for new ways to do things

7 cups sliced thin cukes with peel
1 large onion medium sliced
1/2 cup red sweet pepper sliced thin
1 tbsp pickling salt
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups white sugar

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
Stir well, cover and refrigerate for 3 days. Stir every day.
Pack into freezer containers and cover with brine (I use ziplock bags to have the pickles in small portions and then place the small bags in a larger freezer container). Freeze Thaw before serving.

Sounds great. Is that much sugar important? I'm not really a fan of sweet.
No, you can reduce or eliminate it, although some is good for balancing the flavor. If you were canning it, the sugar could make a difference, but since these are preserved in the freezer, it's not as important.

No, you can reduce or eliminate it, although some is good for balancing the flavor. If you were canning it, the sugar could make a difference, but since these are preserved in the freezer, it's not as important.
Thanks. Good to have that confirmed. I will use some sugar so it won't be too sour.

7 cups sliced thin cukes with peel
1 large onion medium sliced
1/2 cup red sweet pepper sliced thin
1 tbsp pickling salt
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups white sugar

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
Stir well, cover and refrigerate for 3 days. Stir every day.
Pack into freezer containers and cover with brine (I use ziplock bags to have the pickles in small portions and then place the small bags in a larger freezer container). Freeze Thaw before serving.
Never heard of this. Thanks for recipe.

BTW no water in the brine?

I'll be curious to see if the sugar content is important in keeping these things crunchy after thawing...

Yeah, my biggest thing was the consistency after freezing. Ive been making pickles for decades and it never occurred to me to freeze them. Primarily because I usually eat them as fast as I make them, so I never really had the need for long term storage.

Never heard of this. Thanks for recipe.

BTW no water in the brine?

msmofet, I have a recipe for sweet pickles similar to this. No water in the brine. It is actually Emeril's sweet and spicy without the spicy.
Soak the cucumbers in salt water (it says for 2 hours, but I do it the day before and overnight).
Slice, or spears, or whole cucumbers. We make all three.

Brine

6 C white vinegar
3 C apple cider vinegar
7 C sugar
4 T mustard seeds
1 t turmeric

I put 2 cloves in each jar and 1/2 t pickle crisp (calcium chloride) in each pint jar.

Heat the brine, pack the jars, fill and top. Waterbath for 35 minutes for qts and 20 minutes for pints.

My family loves these.

Bliss your recipe looks good,
How many cucumbers and how many jars ?

Thanks

Josie

msmofet, I have a recipe for sweet pickles similar to this. No water in the brine. It is actually Emeril's sweet and spicy without the spicy.
Soak the cucumbers in salt water (it says for 2 hours, but I do it the day before and overnight).
Slice, or spears, or whole cucumbers. We make all three.

Brine

6 C white vinegar
3 C apple cider vinegar
7 C sugar
4 T mustard seeds
1 t turmeric

I put 2 cloves in each jar and 1/2 t pickle crisp (calcium chloride) in each pint jar.

Heat the brine, pack the jars, fill and top. Waterbath for 35 minutes for qts and 20 minutes for pints.

My family loves these.

Back
Top Bottom