Freezer Storage times?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sear

Cook
i know this post is 5 years old now ... but

"FREEZER STORAGE TIMES

Recommended maximum storage times for foods sealed and/or wrapped well
then frozen and held at 0 degrees F:

Bacon, Hot Dogs 1/2 to 1 months"

doesnt this seem a bit off ? its good for that long sealed and in the fridge ..

Hey Sear, welcome aboard, I've moved this to its own thread so you can get more response.

i know this post is 5 years old now ... but

"FREEZER STORAGE TIMES

Recommended maximum storage times for foods sealed and/or wrapped well
then frozen and held at 0 degrees F:

Bacon, Hot Dogs 1/2 to 1 months"

doesnt this seem a bit off ? its good for that long sealed and in the fridge ..

In the freezer. I would and do leave bacon and hot dogs in the freezer for a lot longer than that. The bacon is in it's original package, vacuum sealed. With cooked bacon, it doesn't last too long but I would not hesitate to leave it in for a couple of months.

I buy my favorite hot dogs in a 5 pound bag and individually wrap them in plastic and put them into a plastic freezer bag. They will be remain perfect for many months.

In general, my opinion is that recommended freezer times are a lot shorter than I'm comfortable with.

It's really a matter of texture and taste rather than spoilage.

It does seem like an amazingly short time - but according to the food experts "Frozen, cured meats lose quality rapidly; use as soon as possible." (ref: Refrigerator/Freezer Approximate Storage Times)

I'm like Andy - I have stored bacon and hot dogs longer than that (about 6 months) without any noticeable loss of quality. But, longer than 6 months and I do begin to notice changes.

we usually buy bacon when its on sale ... and put in the freezer, im sure it doesnt sit there longer than 6 months

I love catching bacon on sale, but I BAKE it and then place in zip-seal vacuum bags and freeze. Lasts a long time and very easy to reheat for a few seconds in the microwave when a few strips are needed.

I love catching bacon on sale, but I BAKE it and then place in zip-seal vacuum bags and freeze. Lasts a long time and very easy to reheat for a few seconds in the microwave when a few strips are needed.

I freeze bacon both raw and cooked. I buy four pounds at a time at Costco. I usually cook two pounds at a time in the oven then roll the cooked bacon up in a long strip of paper towel and put that into a plastic freezer bag. Works great.

The cooked stuff does't last long as both my grandson and I love our bacon and waffles in the morning.

I freeze bacon both raw and cooked. I buy four pounds at a time at Costco. I usually cook two pounds at a time in the oven then roll the cooked bacon up in a long strip of paper towel and put that into a plastic freezer bag. Works great.

The cooked stuff does't last long as both my grandson and I love our bacon and waffles in the morning.

Does the cooked bacon stick to the paper towel in the freezer?

Does the cooked bacon stick to the paper towel in the freezer?

Not at all. I take the cooked bacon off the half sheet pan and lay it on paper towels until it cools. Then I roll it up and freeze it.

When I unroll it, I have to flick it off the paper towel as it froze onto the towel but it's not stuck to the point of paper pulling off with the bacon.

Back
Top Bottom