Freezing bay leaves - easiest way?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have a dehydrator I would try drying them, but yes you can freeze them too. I would keep them in a Vacuum-sealed bag away from any moisture and they should stay fresh indefinitely.

We have dried bay leaves, they seem to still have plenty of flavor to them, but then I don't have any frozen or fresh ones to compare right now.

Drying actually concentrates most flavors in herbs, which is why you have to use less if a recipe calls for fresh. Freezing should retain the original nature of the herb, except exposure to excessive moisture will destroy cell structure so it would have to be used immediately.

Drying actually concentrates most flavors in herbs, which is why you have to use less if a recipe calls for fresh.
But why is it always said that it's much better to use fresh basil or fresh thyme, for example? Who uses dried herbs when making stock?

I would not say 'always' since it depends on the application. I would always prefer eating a fresh tomato vs a dried one, but if you use it in a recipe you probably would not tell the difference.

I don't use herbs when making stock, only the natural flavors of the vegetables and meat.

Look at some recipes calling for either dried or fresh.
Usually you use less dry than fresh, as someone said,
drying usually concentrates the flavor.

I have forgotten where I saw it but it was a recipe that stated use two dry bay leaves or one fresh. There are also different cultivars of bay that have variation in flavor but Ive not done a taste comparison. I bought a bay leaf tree at Otts greenhouse in Sch****sville Pa. last year It was a 4 foot tall whip and was only around $10.00! Now it is a house plant in the dinning growing more leaves than I use. I learned the hard way if it is outside for the summer protect it from the squirrels as they like to chew on it.

Last edited:
I have a bay tree that is more than six feet tall. I cut a branch and put it in a dry vase to dry the leaves, then keep them in a jar in a closed cabinet. The general rule for fresh vs. dry herbs is to use 1/3 of the amount of dry as you would fresh.

Tender herbs like parsley, basil and cilantro taste very different from fresh when they're dried, and imo they lose flavor rapidly. The flavor of hardier woody herbs like rosemary, thyme, and bay intensifies with drying - the flavor is pretty much the same, just stronger, so less is needed to get the same flavor. HTH.

Thanx a lot to all of you this thread is really very useful can you people tell me how is green peas are preserved & for how long it should be preserved.

It's a little off topic, but fresh green peas can be "preserved" by pressure canning or by freezing. Freezing is the best. They can be stored for a year or more if in a proper container.

It's a little off topic, but fresh green peas can be "preserved" by pressure canning or by freezing. Freezing is the best. They can be stored for a year or more if in a proper container.

Sorry for off-topic but i actually wanted to know & i thought this is a best thread where i can get the information anyways i am obliged for your advice & i will definitely follow your instruction & sorry for late reply actually i was not in the town.

Back
Top Bottom