"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 03-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
Master Chef
I use solid plastic pint & quart-size containers for large amounts, but also use ice cube trays which are then stored in plastic bags. Each cube equals approximately 1/8 cup, so it's really easy to pop a couple out for recipes asking for just a little broth.

I use the ice cube tray method for leftover canned/cartoned broth as well.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
I freeze small amounts of stocks/broths in 1/4 cup containers rather than ice cube trays and then pop them out into plastic bags.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by camper226
I made a pot of broth. I want to freeze in in quantities of cups/cans. What is the best way to store this? Do I put it into plastic containers or plastic bags?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

One alternative if you don't want to freeze it would be to do what i do an can the chicken broth. It will require a pressure canner though.

If you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen!!!
ncage1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
Senior Cook
I measure my stock in 1 and 2 cup amount and do the flat freezer bag stacking. I freeze chopped basil in ice cube trays, but have never done stock. I think I'll give it a try.
carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #15
Sous Chef
I know that many do freeze in ice cube trays--or even small amounts like Andy, but personally, I don't have a use for that amount. When I use stock, it is usually in at least 2C amounts so the ZipLocs are good. The other thing I do is to concentrate the broth and label it as such. Then it takes up less room in the freezer (a real need for me) and I can add water back when I use it.

Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote