Freezing chicken (turkey) broth:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camper226

Assistant Cook
I made a pot of broth. I want to freeze in in quantities of cups/cans. What is the best way to store this? Do I put it into plastic containers or plastic bags?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

;)

Freeze the stock in plastic containers then pop the frozen stock out of the containers and store them in the freezer in plastic bags.

i put my stock/broth in ZipLoc bags and freeze them flat. Then they can be stacked, either like books or flat.

Another vote for freezer bags. They are easier to store IMO. I also freeze some in ice cube trays and once frozen transfer to freezer bags.

I am in the ice cube tray camp. Makes it readily accessible, and you can use as little, or as much as you want at an arms reach away.

Not to mention when making sauces and such in "at home" quantities, add a couple of cubes to help add flavor.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I like the idea of the flat bags lying in the freezer, not taking up much space. I will also "cube" some of the broth and then have them available in smaller quantities as needed.
:)

"I like the idea of the flat bags lying in the freezer, not taking up much space. I will also "cube" some of the broth "

That's I do. The flat bags are really easy to store, and they thaw quickly.

Hi, Camper! Glad you've joined us. I think you'll have fun here.

I freeze broth all the time. If space is a concern then, by all means, do store it in flat bags. I usually store mine in glass canning jars (in 2-cup quantities), making sure to leave head space, and store in my freezer. I also do a couple of trays of "ice cube" stock for times when I only need a small portion. All I have to do us pop a cube or two depending on how much I need. It's a great system. There's nothing like homemade stock in a recipe calling for stock.

Also, I freeze apple cider the way I freeze stock because I have several recipes that use cider in them. Since cider is available only in the fall here, I'm stuck other times of the year when I need it.

Just my two-cents.

Candocook said:
i put my stock/broth in ZipLoc bags and freeze them flat. Then they can be stacked, either like books or flat.

I do this too except I "file" them in a shoe box.... chicken, beef, veggie... it works really well and you don't have to worry about your stacks falling over or sliding through the grate.

I use solid plastic pint & quart-size containers for large amounts, but also use ice cube trays which are then stored in plastic bags. Each cube equals approximately 1/8 cup, so it's really easy to pop a couple out for recipes asking for just a little broth.

I use the ice cube tray method for leftover canned/cartoned broth as well.

I freeze small amounts of stocks/broths in 1/4 cup containers rather than ice cube trays and then pop them out into plastic bags.

camper226 said:
I made a pot of broth. I want to freeze in in quantities of cups/cans. What is the best way to store this? Do I put it into plastic containers or plastic bags?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

;)

One alternative if you don't want to freeze it would be to do what i do an can the chicken broth. It will require a pressure canner though.

Ncvage

I measure my stock in 1 and 2 cup amount and do the flat freezer bag stacking. I freeze chopped basil in ice cube trays, but have never done stock. I think I'll give it a try.

I know that many do freeze in ice cube trays--or even small amounts like Andy, but personally, I don't have a use for that amount. When I use stock, it is usually in at least 2C amounts so the ZipLocs are good. The other thing I do is to concentrate the broth and label it as such. Then it takes up less room in the freezer (a real need for me) and I can add water back when I use it.

Back
Top Bottom