"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Freezing chicken (turkey) broth:

I made a pot of broth. I want to freeze in in quantities of cups/cans. What is the best way to store this? Do I put it into plastic containers or plastic bags?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Freeze the stock in plastic containers then pop the frozen stock out of the containers and store them in the freezer in plastic bags.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Sous Chef

i put my stock/broth in ZipLoc bags and freeze them flat. Then they can be stacked, either like books or flat.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Another vote for freezer bags. They are easier to store IMO. I also freeze some in ice cube trays and once frozen transfer to freezer bags.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:20 AM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I am in the ice cube tray camp. Makes it readily accessible, and you can use as little, or as much as you want at an arms reach away.

Not to mention when making sauces and such in "at home" quantities, add a couple of cubes to help add flavor.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I like the idea of the flat bags lying in the freezer, not taking up much space. I will also "cube" some of the broth and then have them available in smaller quantities as needed.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
Executive Chef

"I like the idea of the flat bags lying in the freezer, not taking up much space. I will also "cube" some of the broth "

That's I do. The flat bags are really easy to store, and they thaw quickly.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, Camper! Glad you've joined us. I think you'll have fun here.

I freeze broth all the time. If space is a concern then, by all means, do store it in flat bags. I usually store mine in glass canning jars (in 2-cup quantities), making sure to leave head space, and store in my freezer. I also do a couple of trays of "ice cube" stock for times when I only need a small portion. All I have to do us pop a cube or two depending on how much I need. It's a great system. There's nothing like homemade stock in a recipe calling for stock.

Also, I freeze apple cider the way I freeze stock because I have several recipes that use cider in them. Since cider is available only in the fall here, I'm stuck other times of the year when I need it.

Just my two-cents.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
i put my stock/broth in ZipLoc bags and freeze them flat. Then they can be stacked, either like books or flat.
I do this too except I "file" them in a shoe box.... chicken, beef, veggie... it works really well and you don't have to worry about your stacks falling over or sliding through the grate.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I have wire baskets that I keep my bags in.