Freezing good cuts of meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your way of reading the OP's question is not the only way Vera. others read that post and saw that the OP WAS asking about how to freeze meat the correct way.

Time to get back on topic now.

Your way of reading the OP's question is not the only way Vera. others read that post and saw that the OP WAS asking about how to freeze meat the correct way.

Time to get back on topic now.
I, however, was not asking how to properly freeze meat. And I agree, indeed, it is time to get back on topic. I never thought to leave the topic. I wil, however, take a conversation where it leads, especially when others address me, directly, or quote me.

Well my original post was not really pointed in any real direction past can it be done. Which has been answered that it can and steps provided on how to do so which is excellent as I now know I can either vacuum pack it or wrap it tightly in cling wrap and bag that in the freezer.

So I am happy.

The reason I asked was because sometimes we go out and buy a roll of scotch fillet and have it cut up to 1" thick steaks. This usually leaves left over steaks that I don't cook right away.

Thank you for all of the great advice.

Potato ricer???
What the heck is that? I'm going to have to look that up..... I might need one :LOL:

Pacanis, you don't know what a potato ricer is? I have one and wouldn't be without mine. Use it for all sorts of things, not just for potatoes. Do a Google image search for one. You've more than likely seen one.

Use it to squish eggs for egg salad, squash cooked or frozen spinach to release the water, etc.

Yes, a FoodSaver might be a big initial outlay of cash but I think it is worth it if you can afford it. I use mine for not only meats, but also garden veg like green beans and corn on the cob, bread, and leftovers. WHen I make my cabbage rolls I usually make about 4 dozen, we eat about 1 and I seal and freees the rest. They taste just as good.

Pacanis, you don't know what a potato ricer is? I have one and wouldn't be without mine. Use it for all sorts of things, not just for potatoes. Do a Google image search for one. You've more than likely seen one.

Use it to squish eggs for egg salad, squash cooked or frozen spinach to release the water, etc.

After looking at a few, I honestly would have to say that the potato ricer is one thing I can do without.
Now, something that cubes potatoes into 1/8"-1/4" pieces I need. Just ask my now healed thumb :LOL:

Has any tried the sumermarket hand pump baggies that I see advertised on TV? They would make sense, if they work.

After looking at a few, I honestly would have to say that the potato ricer is one thing I can do without.
Now, something that cubes potatoes into 1/8"-1/4" pieces I need. Just ask my now healed thumb :LOL:
I use the equivalent of the "as seen on TV" Chop Wizard by slicing 1/4" rounds of potato first and then chop into cubes. Works great.

Back on the other topic, the potato ricer actually "is" a very versatile tool, but I don't think most every day cooks would remember to use it (though they should).

Last edited:
Has any tried the sumermarket hand pump baggies that I see advertised on TV? They would make sense, if they work.

Yes, Bigjim. They're called HandiVac and I have one. Really, really like it. In some ways it's better, and certainly less expensive, than a FoodSaver, which I also have.

The thing I like best about using the HandiVac is that, in the case of nuts or shredded cheeses, I can open the zipper part of the bag, use what I want, and vacuum-seal the bag back again. That's not an option with FoodSaver bags.

I love my Handi-Vac for the same reasons. I recently learned Reynolds spent over 5 years of laboratory testing before putting it on the market and it has paid off. Excellent product. I'm more amazed that I'm still working on the original set of batteries and it has been months and months.

Same here mcnerd. I'm wondering if that first battery is ever going to quit.

Thanks for that chop wizard info.

I don't like the canisters. Besides taking up a lot of room, they don't seem to work as well at keeping the food good, whether it's in the fridge or in the freezer.
I can get hot dogs to last much longer, both fridge and freezer, using a handivac bag rather than a FS canister. Maybe it has something to do with the plastic being vacuumed tight against the dogs???
I'm sure they have their place with cereals, grains and such if you have a problem with those foods, but I won't use my canister anymore. Not for food anyway.
JMO from my use.

There are many different size canisters pacanis so you can get really small ones. Also they are not designed to go in the freezer so if that is what you have done then that is probably the reason you have found they do not keep food well. You probably ruined the seal.

I use the canisters 95% or more of the time. They work amazingly well. There are times that they loose the seal, but I find the same thing with the bags.

There may be some truth about the canisters not doing as well as the bag, especially if you only have a couple hotdogs in it and a lot of open space. The vacuum-seal is not absolute, otherwise it would probably crush the plastic container, so there "is" some air in that open space.

The moral to that story is, for maximum freshness, FILL those containers as much as possible so there is very little residual air left when you vacuum seal.

Personally I love my canister (of all sizes) and they work well for their intended purposes; flour, coffee, teas, rice, marijuana (just joking), leftovers, etc.

The moral to that story is, for maximum freshness, FILL those containers as much as possible so there is very little residual air left when you vacuum seal.
If you do that they you will not be able to pull a vacuum. You need some head space otherwise it will not work.

Yes there is still some air in the canisters, but that is true of the bags as well. The amount is negligible though.

Back
Top Bottom