Freezing Green Onions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muzzlet

Senior Cook
Is it possible (or wise) to freeze green onions? I have to buy a small bunch for a recipe and end up using only one or two. By the time I use them again, they've gone bad.

Would they need to be blanched first, or just cleaned and sliced?

Thanks!!

Is it possible (or wise) to freeze green onions? I have to buy a small bunch for a recipe and end up using only one or two. By the time I use them again, they've gone bad.

Would they need to be blanched first, or just cleaned and sliced?

Thanks!!

i would think they would need to be blanched . then slice. freeze first spread out on a cookie sheet. then when you bag and use them you won't have a big frozen clump.

i don't freeze vegs. myself but think the above might work.

babe:chef:

I freeze sliced green onions all the time. I can't keep fresh ones around long enough. No blanching needed. Flashing freezing is recommended (spread out on a sheet to freeze individually) before placing in container or bag for storage.

Just pull out what you need for a recipe. Not recommended for salads since the texture does change a little with the freezing.

For celery you can do it either way. Just remember that it loses its texture when frozen so it should only be used in a cooking recipe.

I actually prefer to dehydrate celery (including leaves) and sometime grind it down to a powder for my spice rack (Celery Powder and Celery Salt).

Back
Top Bottom