Freezing lasagna - need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christinaw

Assistant Cook
I am making a lasagna recipe that calls for uncooked lasagna noodles. I would normally freeze the lasagna before I cook it but I'm afraid that will make the uncooked noodles brittle. Should I freeze first and cook later? Or if I cook first and freeze later, how should I defrost and heat up the cooked lasagna? TIA

I am making a lasagna recipe that calls for uncooked lasagna noodles. I would normally freeze the lasagna before I cook it but I'm afraid that will make the uncooked noodles brittle. Should I freeze first and cook later? Or if I cook first and freeze later, how should I defrost and heat up the cooked lasagna? TIA
:) I would bake until nearly done with out browning top cool completely and freeze. When ready pull from freezer the day before to thaw and then bake as usual until hot.

I've never made lasagne without cooking the noodles at least halfway first. I'd be afraid that the raw noodles would break or become tough after being frozen but I'm not an expert. I do know from experience though that if you're freezing a lasagne, it does need a bit more sauce otherwise it gets dry after it's baked.

I always use uncooked noodles. Cook lasagna first and then freeze. That is what I always do. We had few discussions about that. I seem to remember that that was the majority of opinion.

I made a cannelloni dish the week before Christmas and used fresh lasagna sheets. I did not cook the pasta at all; just wrapped up the meat and froze the whole dish.

I thawed and baked it in a slow oven and it worked out great! :)

This is only a little off topic.
I'd cook it for 45 minutes then cool and freeze.
When you cover it use plastic wrap, then foil. If you use foil and the tomato touches the foil, it erodes the foil, so please don't do that. Don't ask how I know. ~bliss

mmm lasagna. The best way is to cook it fresh the day you will consume it cos the taste will definitely be a big difference.

If you're gonna freeze it. Half bake your lasagna (don not brown), leave to cool, cover well with cling film or put in freeze bags. We comes to consume it... continue to cook in the oven by adding some tomato sauce as it tends to dry out. Small trick... preheat the oven at max for 10 mins then reduce it for 180 degrees celcius, cover the lasagna with some tin foil for 8 mins and then uncover to golden brown your top.

When I make lasagna, I bake it completely as usual. The leftover is allowed to cool in the fridge until firm & is then cut into serving-size portions. Each portion is then individually wrapped snuggly in cling film, all the wrapped portions are popped into a Ziploc bag, & into the freezer. When I want a portion (or 2, or 3), I just pull them out, run a little hot water over them to loosen the film, unwrap, & defrost & cook in the microwave until heated through.

I have frozen them both ways. Cooking completely first and then going straight from freezer to oven provided the best results as well as the most efficient method in terms of time it took to thaw and heat. In fact, everyone thought it had been freshly baked.

I'm surprised I'm the first to say, most tomato dishes taste better the next day, or frozen and then rewarmed. Chili, lasagna, spaghetti, beef bourginion (sp?). I guess fresh is good but the next day is better. JMHO ~Bliss

Back
Top Bottom