Freezing mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, they need to be cooked before freezing, if you want to keep them for longer than a few days in the freezer. I have both sauteed them and steam blanched for 3 minutes. I prefer the steam blanching. It keeps them in their individual pieces and can easily be removed from the freezer bag as needed.

Drying mushrooms is an easy way to keep them. Just lay them out in a single layer on a towel or cooling rack, and turn them once in a while so both sides get exposure to the air. Especially easy this time of year, when the forced air heat dries the air out, but it is more tricky when the humidity is really high.

I do this when I pick more oyster or morel mushrooms than I can eat or when I go the mushroom farm up the road and buy more button mushrooms than I should.

freezing mushrooms

The mushrooms that I freeze around here are the oak stump mushrooms gathered in the fall. I get plenty (sometimes a couple bushels) so I just wash them , and pack them in plastic freezer bags. When I thaw them, I just lest them drain, and then sautee them in butter and olive oil until the moisture is out and then add garlic, fresh ground pepper, and some red pepper flakes. They are really good and surely easier to get then those elusive morels around here.

Timely post, wife has been bugging me about going Morel hunting (whenever that season starts) and wants to dry or preserve them so we can have them after the season ends. I don't know if she has looked this up or not, I haven't LOL.

She is on a garden group, and one of them lives south of us and goes Morel hunting every year. She invited us on a hunt, and I do think she told my wife a good place to look is under elms. Probably what makes it hard to find, but her friend did say she manages to get a pretty good batch every year.
We will see, might turn out to be another fad the wife gets into then abandons.

The mushrooms that I freeze around here are the oak stump mushrooms gathered in the fall. I get plenty (sometimes a couple bushels) so I just wash them , and pack them in plastic freezer bags. When I thaw them, I just lest them drain, and then sautee them in butter and olive oil until the moisture is out and then add garlic, fresh ground pepper, and some red pepper flakes. They are really good and surely easier to get then those elusive morels around here.

How do you know which ones you can eat? I have at LEAST 40 oak stumps that go crazy with 'shrooms all summer, then there are a ton of teeny ones just growning in the grass. I've always wondered if I could eat them. So far I just mow them with the lawn:mellow:.

how to determine oak stump mushrooms

Well, I wouldn't pick them unless you have someone who's a mushroomer and has picked them before. I think that's the best way to learn mushrooming is from somebody else. Even morels have "false" morels that some people are allergic to.

How do you know which ones you can eat? I have at LEAST 40 oak stumps that go crazy with 'shrooms all summer, then there are a ton of teeny ones just growning in the grass. I've always wondered if I could eat them. So far I just mow them with the lawn:mellow:.

Most likely the once you've seen are not good to eat. Kee moving them. Mushrooms are very bad if they are not edible. They can cause a lot of damage. It took me good couple of years before I really figure out how to choose the good ones. Of course I was 9 or 10 then and I went with my father to woods. He still goes nowadays. I usualy just do not have time. I get them after he comes home. ;) Much faster way of picking when they are in a basket.

P.S. On freezeeng mushrooms, I've been doing for years. They are not as good if simply fresh frozen, but a lot of times I just use them for mushroom gravy and they are just fine. They may not be good for some other dishes because after defrosting they are sort of soggy(sp?). They do not have to be cooked.

Back
Top Bottom