Freezing Salsa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lhanson

Cook
Wanted to make a few batches of salsa made from canned tomatoes to get us by until the tomatoes from the garden are ready. Has anyone ever froze salsa with good results? I have canning supplies, but wasn't sure about re-canning the tomatoes...plus I don't have the time right now to spend canning--much faster to just throw the extra in the freezer!!

Tomatoes get mushy when frozen as they are mostly water. Try a little bit and see what you think. Let me know your results too.

I would expect the thawed salsa to be watery and mushy.

High water content foods such as tomato tend to give up their water and get mushy. This is because the freezing water within the tomato cells expands and breaks the cell walls, releasing the water and breaking down the structure of the tomato.

Since I'm not a canner, I frequently freeze batches of homemade salsa every season & it thaws out fine, if a bit more liquid. Depending on what texture I want, I either just drain off the extra liquid, or pop the thawed salsa in the blender or processor for a moment or two.

Ihanson, If I may.. My husband and I make tons of jars of hot sauce ( salsa) for our restraunt. There is no need to freeze. You can reuse and rejar those tomato's as long as they are good. The sound of frozen salsa-- doesn't sound to tasty. I am afraid it would be too runny when it thaws out. They last a long time. I have had some for 3-4 years before. Talk about potent. My tongue burned for a few hours. Those are the best here in Texas. Hope it all turned out for you.
If you ever need a quick recipe for homemade hot sauce, I have got a good one.

Quizzie...would love to try your version of salsa. Mine is usually a basic tomato, cilantro, onion, lime juice and jalapenos. Then I add various other ingredients depending on what I have on hand and what flavors I'm in the mood for. So, you say no need to freeze...do you process in a pressure cooker after pouring into jars? How do you keep it from spoiling?

If you want to keep homemade salsa, without freezing, for any length of time - most sources say than 1 week at most - even in the refrigerator, you MUST process it according to current canning procedures to avoid spoilage.

Back
Top Bottom